UCAR Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
This is a full-time position. This position will be posted until March 21, 2018 or until a sufficient number of applications have been received. Thereafter, applications will be reviewed on an as-needed basis.
Relocation assistance is available for this position.
U.S. Citizenship, Permanent Residency, or other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3) is required for this position. UCAR/NCAR will not sponsor a work visa (e.g., J-1, H1-B, etc.) for this position.
Overview – “Where You Will Work”
Located in Boulder, Colorado, the University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR) is a nonprofit organization of 1,400 employees that supports and advances the atmospheric sciences. UCAR is also home to the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR), one of the world’s premier scientific institutions, with an internationally recognized staff and research programs dedicated to advancing knowledge, providing community-based resources, and building human capacity in the atmospheric and related sciences.
Position Details – “What You Will Do”
Reporting to the UCAR Senior Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, the CFO provides leadership and management oversight for the development of high quality and cost effective operations and support services. The CFO serves as the principal liaison on contractual, fiscal, and financial accountability matters with the NSF and other government agencies. Establishes and maintains effective relationships with the university community, state and local governmental entities, community organizations, and Federal agencies. Responsibilities include:
- Leads financial strategies, including tax-exempt bond issuance and management, administration of $100M investment portfolio, and public/private partnerships.
- Responsible for compliance with applicable professional, legal and contractual requirements.
- Oversees interaction with external auditors, Federal Inspectors General, and regulatory agencies.
- Ensures the integrity of UCAR's financial and related administrative services.
- Oversees all UCAR procurement, to include negotiation of incoming prime awards and fees with sponsors, and high risk agreements with the external community.
- Oversees UCAR's annual indirect budget development process and submission of UCAR's indirect cost rate proposal to the NSF.
- Serves as the senior UCAR liaison staff member for the Audit and Finance Committee of the Board of Trustees.
- Identifies significant policy and financial issues for discussion, and provides expert advice to the Board.
- Serves as a member of UCAR's President's Council, contributing to the strategic direction and policies for the organization.
- Advises the President's Council and lab/program management on financial and other strategic matters.
- Directs the activities of CFO staff and subordinate organizations in alignment with UCAR's vision, mission and goals.
- Designs and implements strategies that maximize organization and employee potential and fosters high ethical standards.
- Responsible for the successful outcomes of departments of Treasury and Finance, Contracts, and Financial Planning and Analysis.
- Supervises department directors and provides guidance in department operations.
Minimum Job Requirements – “What You Need”
- Demonstrated leadership experience in supervision of employees in a financial, budget and/or contracts setting
- Advanced knowledge of the federal funding environment and the rules and regulations related to government contracting
- Proven skill in analyzing and reconciling abstract concepts to provide expert recommendations.
- Advanced knowledge of investment principles, accounting, and audit principles
- Understanding of rules and regulations regarding tax exempt bonds
- Proven experience in strategic planning and implementation including directing resources to satisfy strategic goals and competing interests
- Advanced written and oral communication skills
- Experience providing leadership to a diverse workforce
- Master’s Degree in Business, Finance, Accounting or other relevant field, and 15years of experience, including significant management experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Desired – “Preferred Skills”
- Advanced knowledge of administrative management in a scientific/technical environment
- Certified Public Account (CPA); expert fiduciary experience with more than one organization, with desiredexperience with comparable non-profit and/or science-based R&D organizations.