San Mateo, CA
Industry: Architecture & Construction•
Less than 5 years
Posted 415 days agoby Kevin Meyers
Chief Estimator - RT
San Mateo, California
The Senior Plaster/Drywall/Metal frame Estimator is responsible for evaluating plaster, drywall &
metal bid specifications and drawings, ensuring that we know everything required to successfully bid
and win the project.
The position must aggressively follow-up with clients/GC as needed for
information gathering. They must then accurately perform take offs based on knowledge of material
and labor rates, specifications, and production rates.
A background in high-end residential construction is essential as is knowledgeable in bidding
commercial projects. Candidate must be punctual, arrive prepared, have strong leadership skills and are
able to oversee the performance and day-to-day activities of direct reports. Multi-tasking is integral to
working well with all personnel and outside contacts to satisfy clients and achieve company goals.
Ability to work in OST/Quickbid is required; Excel & QuickBooks knowledge is extremely
• Estimate and bid residential and commercial projects
• Research and gather data to fully understand project specifications
• Build and maintain ongoing and up to date knowledge of material costs, labor costs and
• Perform take offs electronically with OST/Quick-Bid or purpose-built estimating systems
• Process change order requests
• Work closely with Superintendents and Foremen; provide job information as necessary
• Follow up on contracts for completeness of paperwork
• Updatecontracts as needed when change of pricing occurs
• Prepare bid packages, including clearly-defined qualifications & clarifications
• Transmit addenda and other bid information to 2nd-tier subcontractors
• Show creativity and resourcefulness to gain better pricing from subcontractors
• Submit 100% of bids and budgets by the deadline
• Review bid requirements thoroughly and asks follow-up question on every bid as needed
• Have a thorough understanding of the scope for specific trades assigned
• Understand how to fit labor and subs to the size/scope of project
• Consistently follows up on submitted bids and budgets with client and/or GC
• Maintain knowledge and network of architects, GC's, property managers, and individual clients
to help in attaining and closing business
• Review budget with Project Management team and highlight any subs/material vendors that
still need to be awarded and areas of concern
• Attend job walks when requested
• Review estimates before bids go out
• Seek and qualify new 2nd tier subcontractors as needed
• Prepare production quantities/bid estimates
• Prepare bid letters as needed
• Discuss and negotiate with vendors and 2nd-tier subcontractors in order to obtain the best
prices and quality of work possible
• Participate in post project review meetings on very large or significant projects to review
performance and lessons learned
• Use value engineering to increase profitability of jobs and increase competitiveness of bid
• Research options for materials, equipment and 2nd tier subcontracted work needed and obtain
• Train subordinates and/or coach co-workers in work areas where they may not be
knowledgeable enough yet or where they may be having difficulties
• Assist potential clients, GC's and other important parties with questions and/or information
requests in a timely and polite manner, ensuring a positive working relationship
• Respond to all incoming bid requests and determine jobs to bid on
Start date – ASAP
Base starting salary $175, (For a strong leader)
Medical benefits after 60 days
Excellent incentive program in place
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. They must then accurately perform take offs based on knowledge of material and labor rates, specifications, and production rates.
2. A background in high-end residential construction is essential as is knowledgeable in bidding commercial projects.
3. Candidate must be punctual, arrive prepared, have strong leadership skills and are able to oversee the performance and day-to-day activities of direct reports.
4. Multi-tasking is integral to working well with all personnel and outside contacts to satisfy clients and achieve company goals.
5. Ability to work in OST/Quickbid is required
6. Excel & QuickBooks knowledge is extremely helpful.
7. Present Salary?
8. Salary Expectation?
9. Must be a US Citizen or Green Card holder?