Become Part of Our Team
As an industry leader, Balfour Beatty offers employees a comprehensive benefits package with competitive salaries and more. This includes:
- Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance
- Health Savings Account
- 401(k) with company match
- Flexible Spending Accounts (Dependent & Medical Reimbursement)
- Vacation Time
- Sick Time
- Paid Personal Days
- Paid Volunteer time
- Tuition Assistance
- Employee Referral Bonus
Balfour Beatty Construction in Austin, Texas is seeking an experienced Chief Estimator or Preconstruction Manager to join our team. This role will require a minimum of ten years of experience related to tenant-finish out (Interiors) estimating and provide start to finish estimating support to the Interiors, K-12, & Large Project business units. The Chief Estimator is the primary member of the estimating team who has overall responsibility for creation of all budgets, estimates and guaranteed maximum prices produced by Preconstruction Services Department. Final word on estimating procedures, processes, techniques and personnel decisions for assigned projects. Oversees department standards for estimates such as bid packages, deliverable formats and budget tracking tools. Oversees historical cost database and oversees and maintains bid management and estimating systems and software. Manages and coordinates the people, software, and other resources used to perform the estimating functions of the preconstruction process.
- Assigns and coordinates scope of work with estimating staff for each project.
- Reviews project plans, specifications, estimating scopes and pricing prepared by estimating staff.
- Prepares budget and general conditions estimates for entire project prior to bid date and reviews budgets and general conditions prepared by other estimators.
- Ensures the flow of project information is maintained and documented.
- Reviews all bid forms prepared for submission.
- Coordinates insurance requirements with Risk Manager.
- Coordinates technical proposal requirements with Marketing Department.
- Reviews schedule and constructability issues with project operations staff.
- Takes the lead in ensuring all data placed in the historical database is accurate.
- Maintains and communicates data on construction and material cost trends affecting project costs.
- Participates in Value Management workshops.
- Creates and/or reviews Budget Tracker options and pricing for accuracy and completeness.
- Maintains and updates MC² estimating software.
- Produces new and modifies existing MC² construction systems, wizards, assemblies, and models as necessary. Updates Unit Price Catalog and Company Standards as required.
- Evaluates, tests and implements software upgrades.
- Maintains and updates Paydirt earthwork software.
- Be proficient in all computer software programs used in preconstruction with particular emphasis on estimating software (MC2, Paydirt, and iSqFt).
- Builds effective relationships with customers, design team, subcontractors, suppliers, and user groups that reflect and support company core values and meets or exceeds the customer’s expectations.
- Actively participates in industry, client, and community relations to enhance company image.
- Participates in and supports Estimating training programs, and commits to the development of department staff and of self.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Construction Management, Engineering, or related field.
- Ten years or more of preconstruction estimating experience on commercial construction projects.
- Ten years or more of experience related to tenant-finish out (Interiors) estimating.
- Possess solid knowledge of civil/site construction, foundation and structural systems, exterior building wall systems, interior finish construction systems , and mechanical and electrical systems, and associated costs.
- Strong computer skills including the ability to use estimating software (like MC2), word processing, spread sheets, bid management, online plan rooms and database applications and company communication tools, such as email, internet, and Microsoft products (e.g., Word, Excel, Office, Outlook).
- Local estimating experience in the Austin or San Antonio market, very helpful.
- Demonstrated ability to oversee multiple projects at a time.
- Possess excellent organizational and managerial skills, and excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated functional and technical knowledge and skills while striving to develop new skills and knowledge quickly.
- Able to create and manage related assignments and schedules based on key priorities of assigned projects while adjusting for roadblocks and evaluating results.
- Able to motivate many kinds of direct reports, provide challenging assignments, act fairly and manage people fairly.
- Able to manage from a distance and achieve work through others without being there; able to identify and simplify complex processes.
- Energetic and dedicated, not afraid to act with a minimum of planning; and can handle stress with composure.
Balfour Beatty US is an industry-leading provider of general contracting, at-risk construction management and design-build services for public and private sector clients across the nation. Performing heavy civil and vertical construction, our teams build the unique structures and infrastructure that play an important role in how people live, work, learn and play in our communities. Our teammates have an instinctive passion for innovating that is fueled by a relentless curiosity, a drive to employ lean practices and processes and the determination to find a better way. Through Zero Harm®, we are challenging the construction industry’s assumptions about safety. We believe that no level of harm should come to anyone as a result of our business.