Reporting to the Vice President, Engineering, looking for a passionate product development leader with a demonstrated history of new product development of robust components and sub systems, which are reliable and have outstanding design characteristics. This detail focused team player must balance the challenges of being a Tier 1 supplier to the automotive and commercial trucking industries while managing and developing a team in a global organization.
This role will lead design efforts for the Commercial & Passenger Vehicle business segment, with the goal of transferring all product development from Germany to Troy, MI by end of 2018. Will require an individual with broad mechatronics engineeringexperience, HVAC, or compression system knowledge.
- Manage, and often lead, review of customer RFQ including: technical feasibility, project timeline, product cost, project cost.
- Oversee high-level time and resource planning to ensure that all customer commitments are met on time and on budget.
- Proactively communicate project status, risks, and concerns to other stakeholders.
- Promote creative problem solving and new product idea generation
- Staff and develop world class product development team.
- Ensure that produce development process is followed in all projects and that we prioritize the right projects.
- Drive improvements toward EBIT, GP1%, Quality Rate, and Project delivery targets.
- Manage C&PV Engineeringbudget including active involvement in the budgeting process.
- Manage creation and updating of 3D models, drawings, and procedures for the development of new products and maintenance of existing products while ensuring quality and thoroughness of engineering documentation.
- Develop new product concepts that fulfill provided Book of Requirements with minimal day to day direction.
- Navigate effectively through complex issues, leveraging expertise and business understanding to recommend solutions, gain alignment, and oversee execution of projects.
- Ensure product quality through actions including: stack up and tolerance analysis, thorough test and validation planning, supplier evaluation, etc.
- Work directly with suppliers and customers to provide technical expertise and problem resolution.
- Maintain contacts with persons inside and outside the company where matters discussed require resourcefulness, tact, and working knowledge of policies, practices and procedures.
- Serve as a brand ambassador for company both within the company and to customers and suppliers.
- Foster collaboration between technical functions across geographies and functions to share knowledge, standardize design, solve manufacturing problems, and achieve best-practices through collective intelligence.
- Coordinate project and product efforts globally with factories in Europe and Asia to ensure common understanding of product needs.
- Prepare and/or facilitate technical reviews and discussions, technology demonstrations, and presentations to company internal or company external organizations; prepare and participate in briefings, technical meetings, tactical or strategic planning with other functional areas or upper management.
- Advance professional and technical knowledge by attending workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, etc.
Bachelor's degreerequired; Mechatronics Engineering with Graduate degreepreferred. Ideal candidate should have 10+ years related professional experience including 5+ years in engineering management.
- Relentless attention to detail and strong Project Management and resource planning skills required.
- 5+ years of proven success in the automotive industry required; Tier 1experiencepreferred
- 3D modeling and 2D drawing experiencerequired; Solid Works preferred
- Experience with FMEA, GD&T and Classification of Characteristics a must
- Knowledge of TS16949 and APQP required
- Competent in the use of MS-Office, Power Point, and Excel
Strong analytical skills; results-driven and biased for action; ability to triangulate between data, brand goals and opportunities
- Documented good leadership skills and team-oriented; approachable, motivated to lead and coach team and bring together to meet common goal
- Must be self-directed and able to manage multiple priorities simultaneously with a sense of urgency.
Ability to travel as needed up to 25%, including internationally, primarily to Germany and some to China. Up to 25% initially, but would taper off as engineering functions are transferred to Troy location.