Direct, supervise/manage, and evaluate the Engineering (Trades) team in the essential duties insuring the quality of services delivered to the clients meets and exceeds our standards and contractual obligations. Chief Engineer has direct oversight of the Maintenance, Electrical and HVAC/Plumbing Mangers and Departments.
including but not limited to (Other duties as assigned):
- Assume management responsibility for all services and activities involved in the maintenance and operations of the Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center including General maintenance, HVAC, electrical, mechanical, plumbing, chillers, refrigeration, boilers and associated equipment.
- Select, train, motivate and evaluate staff; provide or coordinate staff training; work with employees to correct deficiencies; implement discipline and termination procedures.
- In accordance with established guidelines and procedures, provide for the timely and efficient training of Engineering department personnel
- Uphold all relevant federal, state and local building regulations including EEOC, FLSA, OSHA, NFPA, NEC and ADA regulations.
- Plan, direct, coordinate, and review the work plan for facility maintenance; meet with staff to identify and resolve problems; assign work activities, projects and programs; monitor work flow; review and evaluate work products, methods and procedures.
- Participate in the development and administration of the Operation budget; forecast of additional funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies; monitor and approve expenditures; implement adjustments as necessary.
- Coordinate with KBHCC management and Event Services to ensure the set-up needs for events; coordinate facility arrangements with concessionaires and vendors; direct and monitor the work of contractors, engineers, and architects on building projects.
- Order supplies and materials for maintenance programs within budget guidelines; receive and maintain supplies.
- Maintain hazardous materials communication program, material Safety Data Sheets (SDS) and required records and permits; maintain knowledge of changes in pertinent Federal, State and Local regulations.
- Develop and maintain an accurate record keeping system including a Computerized Maintenance Management Software (CMMS).
- Maintain programs for inspection of facilities and documentation of work orders including comprehensive Preventative Maintenance System for all KBHCC fixed and movable equipment
- and building systems.
- Coordinate and oversight of outside maintenance contractors and repair; organize and collection of quotes for service and repairs.
- Coordinate necessary inspections with outside regulatory agencies (Fire, Elevator/Escalator, Boiler, Insurance, etc.).
- Implementing and oversight of policies and procedures to monitor and conserve energy consumption and compliance with Utility Contracts.
- Review operation of Purchasing Inventory systems and insure proper quantities and types of maintenance and show supplies are on hand. Maintain ordering of proper supplies for maintenance and show requirements in a timely manner. Research and recommend equipment, tools, materials and supplies to fulfill needs of Engineering Department.
- Maintain positive working relationships with service contractors, suppliers, utility companies and firms doing business with the KBHCC, to promote coordinated services to clients.
- Plan, coordinate, and communicate with other departments including KBHCC Event Services team and subcontractors (catering, parking, etc.) to ensure that the arrangements and services ordered by those departments are available when and where needed by the clients together with adequate staff to service these events.
- Assist in Preparation and implementation of the annual budget for the departments supervised. Provide recommendations for Capital Improvement Budget, Capital adds, 5-year plan and yearly operational budget.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirement listed below is representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Strong ability to work well with others, independently and in a team environment with a positive attitude, and strong customer service. Must be familiar with OSHA requirements and standards.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Completion of twelfth grade with specialized training in the building maintenance of HVAC or related building systems. Minimum of 5 years management experience in general maintenance and repair of HVAC or related building systems, and knowledge. Demonstrated skill in managing multiple functions and interpersonal skills to foster teamwork and a commitment to team results are required. Knowledge of current practices in the maintenance field.