About the role
we are looking for a Chief Engineer to lead a team to provide technical engineering leadership for the operating group to resolve equipment driven operating issues and opportunities relating to safety and production. This team is to provide solutions using innovative tools and systems which meet industry standards. This role is a leadership position within a small specialized team of technical experts. The Role will be responsible to evaluate technical options and deliver solutions based onefficiency and cost effectiveness. The Chief Engineer is a professional role, applying technical/professional knowledge to solve complex problems and recommend solutions. This role will be residentially based in Labrador City.
Reporting to the Manager Asset Management, you will be responsible for:
- Working closely with the operating and asset management teams in each of the areas to understand, prioritize and deliver on solutions based on business value.
- Assess feasibility and soundness of proposed engineering solutions, equipment, or processes.
- Improves and upgrades existing assets and applies complex problem solving techniques.
- Contributes to successful project scoping and development by participating in the resolution of issues such as conflicting design requirements, unsuitability of standard materials, and complex coordination requirements.
- Coordinates planning, organization, and implementation of engineering projects within constraints of specific objectives, budget, resources and target dates.
- Coordinates project activities with other operating, engineering units and stakeholders to facilitate participation of appropriate staff in project completion.
- Coordinates implementation of design engineering solutions.
- Reviews solution-related job packages for accuracy and relevancy.
- Outlines scope requirements, assigns tasks, and supervises progress to ensure that solutions are implemented successfully.
- Interprets internal or external business issues and recommends solutions/best practices.
- Ensures compliance with standardized project processes, systems and tools across projects
to succeed in this role, you will have:
- Experience in team management – managing and coaching a small team
- Bachelor degree in Mechanical. Electrical or Civil/Structure Engineering
- 10-15 years relevant experience in Operational Engineering and/or maintenance
- Registration as Professional Engineer (PEGNL and/or OIQ) or eligibility for registration
The following additional skills will be considered as key asset to the role:
- Expertise in iron ore processing and/or material handling
- Experience in brown field project
- Experience in operational areas
- Bilingual (English, French)
- Expertise in MS Suite
- Expertise in SAP
Where you will be working
The Iron Ore Company of Canada (IOC) is a leading Canadian producer of iron ore concentrate and iron ore pellets that serves customers worldwide. The company operates a mine, a concentrator and a pelletizing plant in Labrador City, Newfoundland and Labrador, as well as port facilities in Sept-Îles, Quebec. It also operates a 418 kilometer railroad that links the mine to the port.