What responsibilities will you have in this role?
Reporting directly to the President, the Chief Digital and Infrastructure Officer (CDIO) is responsible to enable and optimize a digital and physical teaching, learning, and working environment, in alignment with George Brown College's (GBC) Strategy 2022 and Vision 2030. This role is accountable for all aspects of driving, developing, and implementing technology, facility, and infrastructure initiatives within the organization, in coordination with the physical infrastructure, from capital planning, construction, and development of new IT platforms, infrastructure, and facilities, to the maintenance, operations, and renewal of existing technical and facility infrastructure.
The successful candidate will provide the vision and leadership for developing, implementing and operating technology and facility initiatives in pursuit of the most flexible and ideal blended, physical, and digital environments supporting all areas of the College. This individual will collaborate directly with the senior leadership team to identify, recommend, develop, implement, and support cost-effective facilities related and technology solutions for all aspects of GBC.
The CDIO will oversee a team of IT and facilities professionals that are collectively responsible for the digital and physical infrastructure in support of the operations and future of the College.
Duties and Responsibilities
Strategy & Planning
- Develop business case justifications, cost/benefit analyses for spending and initiatives, and establish departmental goals and objectives.
- Develop and communicate business plans to executive team, staff, partners, customers, and stakeholders.
- Identify opportunities for appropriate and cost-effective investment of financial resources, including staffing, sourcing, purchasing, and in-house development.
- Promote and oversee strategic relationships between internal and external entities, including government, vendors, and partner organizations.
- Participate in strategic and operational governance processes of the business organization as a member of the senior leadership team.
- Develop and implement the appropriate business continuity plan to support organizational needs
Strategy & Planning – IT
- Develop a strategy and roadmap to integrate new and existing technology into the learning, teaching and working environment that enhances the user's experience.
- Approve, prioritize, and control projects as they relate to the selection, acquisition, development, and installation of information systems and capital infrastructure.
- Develop and maintain an integrated technology plan that supports the College strategy and organizational needs, for today and in the future.
- Develop a comprehensive risk management framework for the delivery of all technology and facilities and services.
- Ensure IT system operation follows industry best practices and adheres to applicable laws and regulations.
- Ensure the reliability and security of technology infrastructure, data and information and systems of the organization.
- Establish lines of control for current and proposed IT systems.
- Ensure proper infrastructure asset and IT lifecycle management processes and planning practices are followed
Strategy & Planning – Facilities
- Approve, prioritize, and control projects as they relate to the selection, acquisition, and development, of the facilities capital plan.
- Develop and maintain an integrated facilities master plan, that supports business strategy and organizational needs, for today and in to the future.
- Oversee the development of, and ensure adherence to, annual operating budgets and real estate planning.
- Establish lines of control for current and proposed facility assets.
- Ensure facility management follows industry best practices and adheres to applicable laws and regulations.
Acquisition & Deployment
- Assess and communicate opportunity and risks associated with facilities and technology related investments and purchases.
- Coordinate and facilitate consultation with stakeholders to define business and systems requirements for new facility infrastructure and technology implementations.
- Review hardware and software acquisition and maintenance contracts and pursue master agreements to capitalize on economies of scale.
- Analyze and improve upon technology and facility standards across the organization to maintain a competitive edge within the market.
- Conduct research to remain up-to-date and knowledgeable about industry trends and emerging technologies in anticipation of new business processes and system alterations.
- Ensure continuous delivery of technical and facility services through oversight of service level agreements with end users, and monitoring of systems, programs, and equipment performance.
- Define and report on appropriate technology and facility services operation metrics.
Human Resource Management
- Provide coaching and mentoring to senior team members.
- Develop and maintain an appropriate organizational structure to fulfill current and future business needs.
- Supervise recruitment, development, retention, and organization of all staff in accordance with corporate budgetary objectives and policies.
Communications and Relationship Management
- Collaborate with other members of the senior leadership team to determine the priorities necessary to meet the overall goals of the College.
- Coordinate and facilitate consultation with stakeholders to define business requirements.
- Liaise with potential external business partners to build strategic relationships and service partnerships.
- Provide advice, counseling, and information to senior executives and management on IT and facility infrastructure related risks/issues.
What qualifications do you need for this role?
- Master's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or Business Administration or an equivalent combination of relevant education and experience; Ph.D. preferred.
- 15 years of progressive management experience in technology and facilities operations.
- Demonstrated ability or understanding of capital project management of varying scales including ground-up construction.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the physical and virtual learning environments, including distance education technology as applied to flipped, blended, online, and hybrid learning systems.
- Excellent knowledge of technology environments, including telecommunications, networks, programming, media, end user computing devices, enterprise applications, cloud and data center operations system integration, data management, cyber security, etc.
- Deep understanding of cloud technologies, data governance and analytics, identity management practices, and enterprise architecture models.
- Excellent understanding of project management principles and IT service management practices.
- Experience with strategic technology planning, execution, and policy development.
- Experience with systems design and development from business requirements analysis.
- Familiarity with ITIL, agile programming, and DevOps practices.
- Demonstrated skill in leading a large scale, cross-functional information technology organization.
- Travel between campuses is required.
- Demonstrated leadership in delivering excellent service to others as this is key in supporting the success of our students and our College.
- Strong collaboration and teamwork skills.
- Effective ability to interact with others and deal with situations in ways that respect diverse backgrounds, experience and styles.
- Flexibility in adapting to change and in participating in consultative decision-making processes.