- Ability to build relationships with and relate effectively to top community leaders and diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
- Ability to inform and inspire potential donors to understand the mission and impact of the Y and how they can best contribute to the achievement of its mission.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent; Master’s degree preferred.
- Ten or more years of professional experience with a background in successful fundraising in a large, complex not-for-profit organization.
- Demonstrated experience building and leading a team of successful fundraising professionals.
- Track record of securing significant foundation and individual gifts for annual and capital campaigns.
- Strong working knowledge of giving and charitable vehicles.
- CFRE or equivalent strongly preferred.
- Leads and manages association capital development, annual campaign and endowment strategy, programs and initiatives.
- Develops and leads a strong financial development team and manages resources and systems needed to carry out the fundraising plans. Provides direction to the mission advancement team in the performance of their duties, establishing work priorities in achieving strategic and fundraising goals; prepares and manages the department’s and associated budgets.
- Develops processes and is actively involved in identifying, cultivating and soliciting major gift prospects from the individual, foundation and corporate sectors.
- Provides supervision of and guidance to the Y’s Grants Manager and grant writing activities
- Serves as the senior Y leader in effectively leveraging the Y’s Board of Directors and Board Philanthropy Committee (made up of Association and Community Leadership board members as well as at-large community members) to maximize volunteer engagement and participation in fundraising.
- Develops strategies to increase volunteer involvement at all levels of development and fundraising.
- Develops appropriate fundraising policies and procedures for the association.
- Ensures that a robust tracking system is in place for all gifts and pledges by source and purpose and provides regular reporting to the organization on the status of fundraising campaigns.
- Provides training to Y associates and volunteers in fundraising. Educates, motivates and provides feedback to individuals related to best practices in the fundraising process.
- Works collaboratively with the Chief Marketing Officer to both drive the Y’s “retail” fundraising efforts (i.e. “Send a Kid to Camp” and registrations and grassroots fundraising for the Y’s signature event, the Turkey Trot Charity 5k) and to develop communication plans to ensure members, participants, and the community understands the Y’s case for support. Represents and regularly shares the impact of the Y’s work across the community.
- Serves as a resource and participates as a leader/member of various organizational committees and leadership groups.
- Develops and maintains relationships with other fundraising leaders in the local community, with counterparts of other large North American Ys, and with the YMCA of the USA, continuously benchmarking best practices and furthering the interests of the Y in Central Maryland.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Cause-Driven Leadership® Competencies
- Mission Advancement: Incorporates the Y’s mission and four core values (caring, honesty, respect and responsibility) into the organization’s vision and strategies. Ensures community engagement; promotes the global nature of the Y. Leads a culture of volunteerism ensuring engagement, inclusion, and ownership. Leads a culture of philanthropy.
- Collaboration: Advocates for and institutionalizes inclusion and diversity throughout the organization. Initiates the development of relationships with influential leaders to impact and strengthen the community. Able to relate to and inspire people from all levels and backgrounds across the entire organization. Is recognized as an inspirational community leader who navigates complex political and social circles with ease. Communicates to engage and inspire people within and outside the Y. Ensures that a talent management system is in place and executed effectively.
- Operational Effectiveness: Possesses penetrating insight and strong strategic and critical thinking skills. Invests resources in well-designed innovation initiatives. Creates a structure to deliver organization-wide results to achieve objectives. Develops and implements stewardship strategies. Determines benchmarks and ensures appropriate leadership to meet objectives. Is a “player/coach;” i.e. can and will both do the work and lead the work.
- Personal Growth: Creates a learning organization. Effectively drives change by leveraging resources and creating alignment to expand organizational opportunities. Shares authority and demonstrates integrity, courage and humility. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- CFRE or equivalent strongly preferred.