Chief Development Officer
11 - 15 years experience •
Lambda Legal seeks a creative and experienced Chief Development Officer (CDO) to lead their Development Department and national fundraising. This position will work very closely with Lambda's Chief Executive Officer to fund the expansion of the organization's unparalleled impact litigation work for the LGBTQ Community and people living with HIV. The successful candidate will be ready to roll up their sleeves to lead and restructure a dedicated national team to expand giving in the years ahead. Based in New York, this position is responsible for managing a robust fundraising program that raises over $20 million annually through a combination of direct response, major gifts, events, corporate and foundation giving. The position also oversees all Development operations nationally, signature events and manages a team of 25. Lambda Legal is a national, nonprofit organization committed to achieving full recognition of the civil rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) people and those with HIV through impact litigation, education, and public policy work. Since 1973, Lambda Legal has used impact litigation and other advocacy tools to decriminalize same-sex relationships, fight HIV discrimination, win marriage equality, and advance the rights of transgender people, among other key issues impacting the lives and wellbeing of LGBTQ people. Clients are not charged for legal representation or advocacy, and Lambda Legal receives no government funding. Headquartered in New York City, Lambda Legal has offices in Los Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas and Washington DC.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Leadership and Team Building: The successful candidate will be a leader that motivates and leads staff and volunteers by example.
Individual Giving: The successful candidate must a have a strong background in cultivating, soliciting, and closing 5, 6, and 7-figure gifts from high-net-worth individuals and families. The position is expected to conduct 6 to 8 high-impact personal donor visits per month to cultivate positive and purposeful relationships.
Budgeting and Systems: The CDO must be comfortable creating and implementing expense and revenue budgets, and systems that support revenue tracking and generation. A high degree of data analytics for understanding where to invest and deprioritize in national Development activities is preferred.
There may be other additional duties as assigned, and the CDO must be comfortable with Raisers Edge. Familiarity with Salesforce is also a benefit.
* Minimum of 10 * 15 years of fund development leadership experience; capital campaign experience preferred.
* Leadership experience within a sophisticated fundraising operation of similar complexity.
* Fundraising achievements in major gifts cultivation and solicitation, corporate and foundation grants, direct mail, planned giving, corporate sponsorships and special events.
* Experience working with and coaching diverse teams.
* Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills.
* Excellent organizational skills, with experience working in data-driven and process-driven organizations.
* Entrepreneurial spirit when it comes to attracting new stakeholders.
* Analyze fundraising activities and benchmark with peer organizations to ensure the organization is on track.
* Communicate the value of the organization's mission at all times.
* Understand and commit to key metrics to ensure that Development is fiscally responsible.
* Exceptional and methodological approach to strategic planning that leads to bottom-line growth.
Salary: Salary is commensurate with experience within the guidelines of Lambda Legal scale. Excellent employer paid benefits package including medical, dental, life and long-term disability insurance and generous employer contribution to retirement account. Generous vacation.
Application: The position is open until filled. Send resume and a cover letter to Hiring Manager at . Include the words "Chief Development Officer" in the subject line of your email.
Lambda Legal is committed to building and maintaining a diverse staff and is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, transgender and gender-nonconforming people, people with abilities in multiple languages, immigrants, and people living with disabilities, including HIV, are encouraged to apply.