As KIPP Texas grows to support the 50+ schools in our network, including our goal of educating 100,000 students, our Development efforts must evolve as well. The Chief Development Officer (CDO) for KIPP Texas Public Schools will lead the development and campaign strategy to support the future growth and quality of KIPP Texas Public Schools.
The CDO will be responsible for front-line fundraising, cultivating and maintaining a portfolio of investor and partner relationships, identifying new KIPP Texas supporters, and deepening relationships with established champions. The CDO will directly manage the Deputy Chief of Development and the Managing Director of Development Operations and lead the development team. In addition, the CDO will serve as an active member of the KIPP Texas Executive Team, responsible for the creation and execution of overall organizational strategy.
This is an ideal opportunity for an individual with a relentless drive to deliver results and who is energized by the opportunity to serve as an internal and external leader for the organization, galvanizing diverse stakeholders in support of KIPP Texas's mission.
- Conceptualize, plan, and execute the broader fundraising strategy, including envisioning, developing, and executing specific engagement and giving opportunities.
- Align fundraising efforts to key priorities and imperatives of the KIPP Texas's Board of Directors, establishing a close feedback loop between key donor prospects and KIPP Texas leadership and teams.
- Provide critical input into proposals, including into written proposals and senior stakeholder engagement.
- Lead strategic discussions with senior stakeholders, including CEO, KIPP Texas Board, and regional Boards of Directors.
Major Gift Relationship Management and Stewardship
- Lead the acquisition of new donors and supporters for KIPP Texas, including identifying and researching new prospects, crafting engagement plans, and cultivating relationships.
- Drive the mission-critical function of securing six- and seven-figure major gifts.
- Cultivate champions for KIPP and KIPPsters across Texas in the spirit of raising awareness of educational inequity, KIPP, its mission, and track record of results.
- Collaborate with KIPP Foundation colleagues to fully address donors' inquiries.
- Partner with KIPP Texas's CEO, Board Members, as well as KIPP Foundation in relationship-building activities.
- Work with the Development Committee of the Board of Directors to develop strategies to initiate and meet aggressive fundraising goals.
- Develop fundraising training for Board Members and other volunteers to ensure 100% Board giving at a personally meaningful level.
- Assume responsibility for all development reports to the Board and other agencies and attend all Board Development Committee Meetings.
- Some travel between KIPP Texas regions required.
Grants Application and Management
- Lead the Development Team to write engaging and effective corporate and foundation proposals and follow-up reporting.
- Lead the Development Team's collaboration with the Finance and Academic Teams to ensure accurate and compelling grant reports are submitted in a timely manner.
- Cultivate and solicit corporate sponsorship for special events.
- Submit grant reports in a timely manner according to specific guidelines set by the donor organization.
- Work with the Finance Team to understand budget expenses for each grant and to ensure that funds are allocated and spent according to the grant guidelines.
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree required, Master's degree preferred
- 10+ years of professional work experience, with a successful track record in fundraising
- 10+ years of management experience preferred
- Experience working within an entrepreneurial non-profit is strongly preferred
- Ability and interest to interact with diverse stakeholders: From students and families to board members and donors to KIPP educators and staff members. Must possess intellectual curiosity and authentic interest in others
- Self-starter with an intense focus on results and the ability to persevere through challenges to achieve goals
- Track record of successful senior stakeholder management
- Ability to build relationships quickly and effectively
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills appropriate to engage a senior, external audience
- Ability to problem solve and to navigate and lead through complexity
- Energized by a fast-paced, collaborative working environment
- Committed to the belief that all students can learn and achieve at high levels
- Ability to model KIPP's values at all times
Compensation and Benefits
Salary is based on years of experience, degree of education, and level of expertise. A competitive benefits package is also offered.