“This is not just a job - it’s a lifestyle”
This is just one of the mantras from employees who describe how deeply fulfilling it is to work at KenCrest. We take pride in nurturing the relationship between employer, employee, and the IDD community that we have had the honor of serving for over 115 years. And now, we want you to join our team!
We are currently seeking an inspirational leader in the form of a Chief Development Officer to join our fund and development team which encompasses major gifts, individual and planned giving, cultivation and fundraising events, board relations, database & donor services and marketing and communications. The Chief Development Officer will report to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and will work with the CEO and other Centers Executives to identify new lines of business and opportunities that will enhance our existing lines of business. The successful candidate will drive our efforts to fuel innovation, distinguish KenCrest from other organizations, expand and diversify our base of support, deepen relationships with donors, drive revenue growth, inspire giving from the Board and other key volunteers/ donors, lead and motivate a dedicated team, and contribute to a diverse, equitable, and inclusive culture.
- Provide general oversight of all of the organization’s fund development activities, manage the day to-day operations of the development team, and monitor adequacy of activities through coordination with staff, appropriate committees, and governing body.
- Plan and implement strategies to secure donors and contributions in support of the organization.
- Establish strong and appropriate relationships with CEO, staff, governing board, volunteers, donors and the general community. Develop smooth and constructive relationships with people from all segments of the community.
- Foster a culture of philanthropy and ensure that fund development is executed in keeping with the organization's values, vision, and mission.
- Convey a professional and positive image and attitude regarding the organization and the not-for-profit sector.
- Evaluate the effect of internal and external forces on the organization and its fund development, recommend short- and long-range fund development plans and programs that support the organization’s values, mission and general objectives.
- Establish a balanced mix of donor sources and fundraising programs to attract and retain donors and fundraising volunteers.
- Establish performance measures, monitor results, and evaluate the efficacy of the fund development program.
- Maintain accountability and ensure compliance with all regulations and laws, as well as the code of ethics for fundraising professionals.
- Ensure that philanthropy and fund development are carried out ethically and in keeping with the organization’s values, mission, vision and plans.
- Keep informed of developments in philanthropy and fund development as well as the general fields of management and the not-for-profit sector; inform the chief executive officer, development committee and board on current trends, issues, problems and activities.
- Engage people in process, encourage questioning, and promote participatory decision making
- Oversee agency marketing resources assuring that they are assigned for business growth priorities and in support of general communication needs
- Oversee agency internal and external communication efforts to meet operational needs and public image of the organization including the website and social media
- Handle detailed, complex concepts and problems and make rapid decisions regarding management and development issues.
- The position requires demonstrated experience in managing and implementing a comprehensive fund development program and producing charitable contributions.
Who Will Succeed In This Role:
The successful candidate will have a minimum of 10-15 years of relevant work experience leading a development and/or advancement department for a nonprofit, healthcare, or institution of similar complexity with multiple stakeholders. Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration, or related field required; Master's Degree preferred.
They will also bring:
- A passion and commitment to KenCrest’s mission.
- Experience in fundraising and event production
- Success in 6 figure or more asks. Capital campaign experience a plus.
- A practical ability to get things done; the ability to set clear priorities, delegate, and guide investment in people and systems.
- Wisdom and good judgment; organizational savvy; keen analytic, organization and problem-solving skills to enable sound decision-making.
- The intellectual flexibility and managerial courage to shift direction and bring others along
- Outstanding presentation and communication skills and experience as a compelling spokesperson, relationship builder, and fundraiser.