Graham Windham’s Chief Development Officer is committed to leading with Graham Windham’s organizational pillars (Respect, Grow, Thrive and Lead) to secure the necessary investment of resources to achieve the organization’s strategic vision. The CDO’s scope will include designing, implementing and evaluating all fundraising strategies relating to foundations, corporate, individual & digital supporters, including annual and legacy giving. The CDO will create and execute a development plan that details how Graham Windham will identify funding sources and cultivate supporters. The CDO will also be responsible for creating and implementing an external communications and public relations plan, using social and other media, and supporting the CEO on time-sensitive communications. The CDO will attract excellent volunteers to contribute their talents and meet needs identified by program leadership. The CDO will be a member of the Executive Council and will be required to perform the duties and responsibilities listed below.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Report to President & CEO and work closely with the Board of Directors, Graham’s Leadership team and the Campaign Counsel.
- Oversee Graham Windham’s Development branch
- Collaborate with branch and department heads (i.e., Chief Performance Officer, Chief Financial Officer, Chief Operations Officer, Program Vice Presidents) as a valuable member of the senior leadership tea.
- Professionalize fundraising activities in preparation for a major Campaign in support of Graham’s strategic plan.
- Devise and execute a multi-faceted fundraising strategy inclusive of campaign gifts, foundation fundraising, individual giving, grants, planned giving, digital fundraising, and event support.
- Serve as a passionate, articulate ambassador on behalf of Graham’s mission in philanthropic communities.
- Create the case for support.
- Build a calendar of volunteer cultivation events to advance donor relationships—and recruit host committees.
- Identify major gift prospects and turn them into leadership donors.
- Generate development-related communications.
- Oversee planning of donor cultivation and fundraising events.
- Improve infrastructure of fundraising systems and outreach.
- Actively cultivate and solicit donors of all levels.
- Create funding benchmarks, evaluate progress, and report on activities.
Minimum Qualifications & Requirements
- 5-7 years of fundraising experience, with at least two (2) years in a leadership position.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced degree preferred.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, donor databases, web-based applications, and use of the internet required.
- Willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends.
- Ambassadorial talent to fuel passion and understanding for the need to support Graham Windham’s mission.
- Superb interpersonal and persuasive communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to build a culture of philanthropy within an organization.
- Proven ability to successfully engage major donors in stewardship events and solicitation meetings.
- Ease in working with leaders of business and philanthropy.
- Strong management, budgeting, and reporting experience.
- Creative, strategic, and analytic thinking skills.