Reports directly to the Chief Information Officer. The successful candidate will be capable of performing tasks at a complex level with minimum supervision. The Chief Data Officer will be primarily responsible in planning and leading Data Strategy inclusive of tactics to improve data usage through the use of information technology and analytics. The Chief Data Officer will serve as a key resource in the formulation of the UMMSOM current and future mission in light of changing external factors such as regulations, competition, technology and customers.
This position will have an important lead in the promotion and support of data and analytics. In this role, it is essential to maintain open lines of communication with leaders in the hospitals, clinics, medical school and broader University community. The ideal candidate is familiar with a variety of healthcare, education and research industry concepts, practices and procedures. He/She will rely on their extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals, lead and direct the work of others and have a wide degree of creativity and latitude.
- Work with leadership for development of competitive strategic plans to achieve UM Miller School of Medicine and the University of Miami Health Systems mission of excellence in medical care delivery, expanding medical knowledge through education and research and leading initiatives to provide quality health care to those who need it.
- Focus on coordination of clinical/research information across the continuum of care that is facilitated through technology.
- Work with Leadership and Medical Finance to outline strategic technology requirements for major capital expenditures that are recommended in future fiscal years, determined through a strategic planning process.
- Work with Research to assimilate Clinical data captured though the Electronic Health Record into health data management strategies and translational research capabilities.
- Take authority, responsibility and accountability for exploiting the value of information assets, and of the analytics used to render insights for decision making, automated decisions and augmentation of human performance. Be the health system leader of data-driven insights that help support the exploitation of strategic and tactical opportunities.
- Work with leaders to establish the vision for managing data as a business asset to exploit data using research and analytics to maximize the return on data assets. Develop methods to ensure consistent application and use of analytics. Establish the governance of data and algorithms used for analysis, analytical applications and automated decision making.
- Define data and analytics strategy practices, lead the creation (and assure the ongoing relevance) of UHealth’s data and analytics strategy in collaboration with key stakeholders. Institute an operating model that is consistent with the capabilities and competencies required to execute the strategy.
- Oversee the development and deployment of the data and analytics platform for digital healthcare.
- Lead research, strategy creation and development of new data products or services to expand markets, monetize data (directly and indirectly) and grow revenue as allowed by regulation and policy.
- Expand the organization’s research and analytics offerings, especially in emerging analytical approaches, skills and technologies, focusing them on digital healthcare innovation.
- Foster the creation of a data-driven culture, related competencies and data literacy across UHealth.
- Identify new kinds, types and sources of data to enable data innovation throughout the organization. Create and oversee a centralized service for sourcing external data to ensure quality, traceability, timeliness, usability and cost-effectiveness. Define processes for the effective, integrated introduction of new data.
- Organize and chair a data and analytics governance committee that meets monthly.
- Define, manage and advance UHealth information management principles, policies and programs for stewardship, advocacy and custodianship of data and analytics, in concert with legal, information security, and corporate risk and compliance offices.
- Evolve and institutionalize behaviors for the appropriate use of information taking into consideration changing security requirements, privacy needs, ethical values, societal expectations and cultural norms (in collaboration with the data protection officer and legal counsel).
- Define, manage and ensure an adequate information trust model, controls for master data and metadata management, including reference data.
- Ensure that reports and analytics derived from controlled data are consistent and representative of the true state of UHealth.
- Measure master data and reference data for compliance to policy, standards and conceptual models. Assure the deployment and management of data quality monitoring practices.
- Responsible for keeping senior leadership informed of technology barriers, advancements, opportunities and resource requirements to execute our strategic initiatives.
- Responsible for the development/maintenance of Information Technology strategic planning, workforce and resource allocation, while maintaining a forward-looking vision and strategy.
- Responsible for the supervision, management and coordination activities for assigned enterprise-wide information technology projects as well as for ensuring an efficient and timely conclusion.
- Responsible for attending applicable professional meetings, workshops, conferences and seminars to keep abreast of technological market advancements.
- Maintain membership in applicable committees and supporting sub-groups.
- Other related duties as required
Supervision Received: Chief Information Officer
Supervision Exercised: The IT reporting and analytics staff
Minimum Qualifications (Essential Requirements):
- Excellent Quantitative, analytical communication and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work in a complex environment with the skills to manage multiple projects and deadlines, establish priorities, set objectives and achieve stated goals.
- Strong managerial performance and developing professional staff.
- Ability to coordinate a detailed plan process involving management staff, Senior Leadership and members of the Medical Staff.
- Demonstrate Proficient knowledge of Personal Computers, Project Management, flow charts and data bases preferred.
- Ability to interact effectively with a variety of internal and external contacts.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Customer service experience and focus.
- Ability to learn quickly and eagerly.
- A Master’s Degree required.
- Three or more years of progressively responsible experience, preferably in an academic medical center setting.
- Must understand meeting the service needs of academic and administrative technology users in a medical and higher education environment.
- Excellent administrative skills and ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing to ensure customer satisfaction with quality output.
- At least 3 years’ experience in planning, budgeting, equipment acquisition, and project management.
- Experience should include managerial experience that demonstrates the ability to lead a team of professional, technical, and support staff; and proven organizational, interpersonal, and communications skills.
- Ability to reason logically and creatively; to learn and utilize new technologies; to clearly communicate ideas and recommendations; and, to write clear, and concise reports.
- Must represent the University in a professional manner.