At HDR, we specialize in engineering, architecture, environmental and construction services. While we are most well-known for adding beauty and structure to communities through high-performance buildings and smart infrastructure, we provide much more than that. We create an unshakable foundation for progress because our multidisciplinary teams also include scientists, economists, builders, analysts and artists. That’s why we believe diversity is our greatest strength. HDR is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer.
Watch our 'About Us' video
We believe that the way we work can add meaning and value to the world. That ideas inspire positive change. That coloring outside the lines can illuminate fresh perspectives. And that small details yield important realizations. Above all, we believe that collaboration is the best way forward.
The role of the Chief Engineer provides vision and leadership to the delivery of Dam, Levee and Civil Works projects produced in their respective operating areas. There is a long tradition in the Civil Works industry of the “Engineer of Record” and a Chief Engineer being in responsible charge of major flood control, dam or levee design. Within HDR, upfront risk review and input is provided at the Business Class level up through and including PARR. While many of the BC leadership also have active project roles, it is the HDR Operational Areas that are responsible for delivery of the Civil Works projects. Establishing and Recognizing Centers of Expertise in Colorado and N. California and installing respective Chief Engineers enhances HDR risk management and places a responsible engineer in charge of completing the risk management process that began with the reviews required by the MOA. The position also creates an attractive role to attract additional key talent into HDR or promote motivated existing employees into a leadership position.
General ResponsibilitiesAs a team leader, the chief engineer works with other managerial staff to ensure project completion in an efficient manner. He/she oversees each phase of project delivery cycle so that the team meets company specifications, industry standard of care and complies with federal and state regulations.Specific duties of the chief engineer include:
- Benchmark and establish technical development goals for their area of responsibility
- Devise and implement plans for each phase of the technical development plan
- identifies key hires and works with Area and Business Group representatives to recruit new expertise
- Leads critical projects or serves as project principal driving technical delivery in cooperation with project manager.
- Manages production workload for the area. Has a key understanding of work load needs, staffing resources and collaborates within HDR matrix to work share and deliver projects and programs
- Is responsible to the Market Sector manager to deliver quality work to our clients
- Supervises discipline leads in the center of expertise to promote quality delivery
- Has coordination responsibilities to the Dam Levee and Civil Works Business class team to ensure consistency with risk management goals established during MOA and PARR reviews
The Chief Engineers will play an integral role in the overall success of the Area’s project delivery cycle.
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering specialty such as civil, structural or geotechnical engineering with a broad understanding of supporting disciplines.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in a supervisory role, preferably managing a team of ten or more engineers and an outstanding record of successful projects.
- The Chief Engineer at a minimum needs to be registered and have practiced in their respective State for a minimum of 5 years. Registration in multiple States is a plus.
- They must also demonstrate a thorough knowledge of industry codes. The position may require:
- Project Management
- Lead Engineer Duties
- Quality Control Reviews and Process Management
- Coordinating with Corporate Business Class Professionals
- Project Delivery Risk Management
- Client Management
- Multi-Office Work Load Management
- The Chief Engineers must show evidence of excellent problem solving skills as well as keen analytical abilities.
- They must have strong leadership qualities, as well as excellent communication skills.
- They should be able to negotiate with team members and be comfortable navigating the HDR operational matrix.
- The resumes of these professionals should reflect an understanding of new technologies and cutting edge methods in the field of civil works engineering.
- It is vital that chief engineer constantly update their education.
- An attitude and commitment to being an active participant of our employee-owned culture is a must
- Masters degree in engineering is a plus
- Participation and leadership roles in ASDSO, USSD or ASCE is a plus.
At HDR, we know work isn’t only about who you work for; it’s also about what you do and how you do it. Led by the strength of our values and a culture shaped by employee ownership, we network with each other, build on each other’s contributions, and collaborate together to make great things possible. When you join HDR, we give you license to do the same. We help you take charge of your career, giving you multiple growth opportunities along the way.