In 2019, immigrants worldwide sent over $550 billion home to family and friends, dwarfing foreign governmental aid. In the age of cheap, quick transfers through services like Paypal and Venmo, these people are trekking to stores to pay fees averaging over 7% for transfers that typically take 24 hours or more.
Sendwave's mission is to change that by making sending money anywhere in the world easy and affordable. Since 2014, our app has allowed diaspora members from several African nations - and more recently Bangladesh and Sri Lanka, saving our users over 70% relative to Western Union and MoneyGram.
We are looking to rapidly expand around the world in the next year. That's where you come in...
How you'll help us achieve it
The Chief Compliance Officer (CCO) is responsible for designing, shaping and providing strategic leadership to Sendwave’s global Compliance program. You will serve as a strategic business partner for management and ensure that the company maintains a robust, risk-based compliance program that helps protect and grow our business. You will provide guidance and influence leadership across the organization by having a good understanding of the financial services landscape, being a creative and agile thinker and possessing the ability to develop strong relationships across the business.
You will lead a team of experienced and highly motivated compliance professionals who are charged with designing and delivering appropriate, risk-based compliance policies and procedures as well as monitoring, auditing and providing training for all business functions. You will high-level oversee the compliance risk assessment process that is used to set team priorities and objectives and to formulate the long-term strategic objectives of the compliance program. The role requires engagement and strong working relationships with management of other departments and cross-functional teams to ensure
In this role, you will:
- Oversee regulatory compliance in all jurisdictions where we do business
- Ensure enterprise-wide compliance risk is identified, managed and reported
- Manage a quickly growing department of 30+ Compliance Officers, MLROs and AML Investigators
- Anticipate growth and staff the Compliance Department accordingly
- Support Senior Management and the Board in promoting a positive culture of Compliance by establishing and embedding an effective corporate governance structure
- Ensure Compliance Priorities align with and propel business goals and objectives
- Represent Sendwave to regulators and partners (banks, aggregators, etc.) as needed
- Develop and drive the completion of the annual Sendwave Risk assessment
- Review and Improve the Compliance training program for adoption across Sendwave
- Work across the company to enhance Sendwave’s transaction monitoring processes
- Periodically review Sendwave’s sanctions screening and AML thresholds and rules
- Ensure that an effective Independent Review and conformance testing plan is developed and executed annually for each origination jurisdiction
- Provide strategic direction to the management team and department heads on compliance matters and contribute to the company’s technical direction and long-term decision making.
- Coordinate internal compliance review and monitoring activities, including periodic reviews of departments
- Location: Our company is 100% remote. You can be based anywhere in the the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Germany, Belgium, Kenya, or Senegal
- Major benefits:
- Subsidized health insurance and retirement contribution matching (both vary from country-to-country)
- 26 weeks fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance
- Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching
- Minimum of 8 years of relevant work experience in compliance and management of compliance programs in a financial services or fintech company
- At least 5 years related to US federal and state regulatory/compliance activities
- CAMS Certification
- Thorough understanding of the laws, regulations and industry codes of practice applicable to financial services companies
- Experience counseling senior management and company employees regarding compliance risks
You might be a good fit if you
- Have experience in Regulatory Compliance governance, oversight, systems and controls
- Have the proven ability to oversee the building, training and managing of a global team preventing financial crime
- Have operated in a complex organization across multiple disciplines and jurisdictions
- Have experience leading change management
- Have experience with compliance practices in EMEA, APAC, or LATAM regions
- Are a business-minded strategist who operates with a strong passion for and understanding of our corporate mission and guiding principles
- Are a self-starter, take initiative, self-manage and require little day-to-day direction to be successful
- Take responsibility for the outcomes of your core duties
- Are a business-minded strategist who is passionate about achieving Sendwave's mission and excited at the prospect of lowering remittance costs for diaspora communities
- Our team of over 200 employees are fully distributed across the world— working from coffee shops, homes, and coworking spaces — making us one of the larger fully distributed growth-stage startups in the world.
- We are proud parents, community organizers, farmers, play in bands, teach yoga , moonlight as YouTube influencers, are former Olympians, and serial entrepreneurs.
- We collectively speak over twenty languages, including Akuapem, Amharic, Bengali, Ewe, Fante, Ga, Igbo, Kalenjin, Luganda, Oromo, Somali, Swahili and Wolof.
- We recently joined forces with WorldRemit, another remittance company, and we’re excited about the ways we can continue to provide the best service to our users.
How to apply
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If interested, please submit your resume & cover letter describing your interest in Sendwave below. Please also indicate the countries in which you have work authorization.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. Sendwave is a place where everyone can thrive. So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to wake up everyday.