SAP started in 1972 as a team of five colleagues with a desire to do something new. Together, they changed enterprise software and reinvented how business was done. Today, as a market leader in enterprise application software, we remain true to our roots. That’s why we engineer solutions to fuel innovation, foster equality and spread opportunity for our employees and customers across borders and cultures.
SAP values the entrepreneurial spirit, fostering creativity and building lasting relationships with our employees. We know that a diverse and inclusive workforce keeps us competitive and provides opportunities for all. We believe that together we can transform industries, grow economics, lift up societies and sustain our environment. Because it’s the best-run businesses that make the world run better and improve people’s lives.
Chief Cloud Native Development Architect, S/4 Incubation
Now more than ever before businesses around the world need to accelerate the transformation of core processes in a flexible way. To support this, our new business unit SAP S/4HANA Consumer Industries Cloud will focus on building new cloud products for customer in the Consumer Product, Retail, Wholesale and Life Science industries.
Taking a start-up approach, SAP S/4HANA Consumer Industries Cloud will be an incubator for new cloud applications, bringing together product strategy and management will all the necessary cloud business functions such as architecture, engineering and operations. Development in this unit will focus on cloud-native applications and has a strategic growth plan from now to 2025.
EXPECTATIONS AND TASKS
Our team wants to change the way enterprise software is built. The Cloud Native Development Architect role will be driving special pilot and incubation projects with a focus on validating new enterprise product, technology, and architecture approaches and the goal to actively help shaping SAP’s future Cloud ERP architecture.
As a Chief Development Architect, you will work on a specific project critical to SAP S/4's needs with opportunities to switch teams and projects as you and our fast-paced business grow and evolve. We need our engineers to be versatile, display leadership qualities and be enthusiastic to take on new problems across the full-stack as we continue to push technology forward.
Overall duties include, but are not limited to:
- Responsibility for the aligned and consistent cloud-native architecture of the product.
- Contributes to the aligned and consistent cloud native architecture strategy and/or target architecture of the product line and platform.
- Evaluates architecture risks and estimates effort for business case or backlog item, prepares management decisions on these topics.
- Translates business and product requirements into technical requirements, models, and software architecture.
- Collects and documents requirements and constraints with high impact on the architecture as basis for architectural decisions.
- Is responsible for defining the product’s architecture together with implementation team(s), drives alignment of architecture concepts and ensures documentation in architecture concept document(s).
- Identifies opportunities for reuse of architecture concepts or software parts and cross-team synergies.
- Aligns architecture with stakeholders regarding architecture or technical dependencies.
- Supports and advises product owner by ensuring technical and architectural feasibility, readiness, and compliance .
- Is responsible for setting up collaboration with the developers/architects of the product team/implementation team(s) and contributes to all tasks of implementation team/product team.
- Coaches and advises implementation team(s) on all aspects which have impact on the architecture, reviews design documents of implementation teams regarding compliance with architecture, coding, and relevant product line guideline .
- Monitors implementation of the architecture concepts together with implementation team.
- Implements software parts, typically related to infrastructure or technical architecture.
- Join user interviews to see how our app is used and experienced by our customers.
- Can lead proof-of-concept and prototyping efforts.
- Implement features and user interfaces for the web on all screen sizes.
- Take ownership over performance, scalability, and accessibility issues.
- Stay up to date on best practices and cutting-edge technology developments.
- Propose and compare design and technology options with technical leads.
- Work closely with Design & Product Management
- Gather requirements from customers in close collaboration with customers’ business and IT departments
- Gain deep understanding of enterprise-related business processes
- Hire and onboard top talent, and contribute to a healthy and flourishing engineering culture
- Manage individual project priorities, deadlines and deliverables.
- Ability to earn the respect of a talented engineering team.
- Demonstrated experience leading successful SaaS products to market from a deep technical leadership role.
- Experience in one or more of the following: C, C++, Java, Python, Go, Perl or Ruby.
- 5+ years of relevant work experience in cloud software development using continuous delivery and deployment.
- Experience with algorithms, data structures, complexity analysis and software design.
- 5+ years of relevant experience with cloud infrastructure with 1 or more major cloud hyperscaler platforms.
- 3+ years of relevant Kubernetes and related open source experience.
- 5+ years of relevant experience supporting development and operations of cloud-native architectures, databases, and data/machine learning pipelines.
- 5+ years of relevant experience with development and operations of microservice and serverless architectures.
- Interest in designing, analyzing and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems.
- Ability to debug and optimize code and to automate routine tasks.
- Systematic problem-solving approach, coupled with effective communication skills and a sense of ownership and drive.
- Working proficiency and communication skills in verbal and written English.
- Master’s, PhD degree, further education or experience in Engineering, Computer Science or other technical related field a plus.
- Experience scaling technical teams a plus.
- Experience with building machine learning and analytics systems in the cloud a plus.