Chief Business Officer
NOTE: Location: Ideally we are looking for someone to be based in or near Newport News, VA or Washington DC but we may consider otherlocations for the right candidate.
I represent an established and prestigious national consulting engineering company supporting several Department of Energy (DOE) sites. We are looking for a Chief Business Officer. The Chief Business Officer directs and manages all business functions the Nuclear and Environmental Group’s Business Management office and is responsible for establishing and reporting financial and operational metrics to Technical Solutions Division. Finance and accounting, contracts and procurement, cost estimating, human capital management, personnel within operational units will be matrixed to the Office of Business Management. The CBO, as a member of the senior leadership team, demonstrates performance with integrity and shapes the culture of ethics and compliance. The Chief Business Officer reports to the President, Nuclear and Environmental Group (N&EG).
Essential Duties/Responsibilities (may include, but are not limited to):
- High level of responsibility, accountability and impact on the business area assigned
- Lead, guide, direct and evaluate the work of other leaders
- Formulate and implement the strategic plan that guides the direction of the business
- Achieving the organization's overall strategic goals and profitability requirements as determined by the strategic plans
- Responsible for negotiation and review of all contracts affecting N&EG above subsidiary thresholds
- Provides regulation and policy support and interpretation to subsidiaries for procurement actions
- Achieves, consolidates and reports Small Business metrics for N&EG
- Responsible for executing and achieving the N&EG Compliance Plan
- Evaluates subsidiary capital expense proposals
- Reviews and concurs on subsidiary Annual Operating Plan (AOP) submittals
- Responsible for reporting all Corporate data requests
- Establishes N&EG operational goals and milestones, based on input received, for each operational unit
- Tracks and monitors operational units’ goals and milestones progress
- Conducts quarterly budget and program reviews to ensure milestones and objectives are achieved
- Responsible for developing and reporting all N&EG out-year projections with support from operational units
- Responsible for management of N&EG performance scorecard (e.g. Segment Performance Measures (SPMs), operational commitments, PMRs, playbook status)
- Responsible for establishing personnel-related policies/procedures for N&EG
- Responsible for coordinating recruiting efforts; monitors succession planning/readiness
- Responsible for monitoring and reporting HR metrics for N&EG
- Establishes incentives pools for subsidiaries with President, N&EG approval
- Oversees N&EG contract and procurement activities
- Establish signature authority levels for operational units
- Serves as primary conduit for all Corporate and external data requests, including required support of litigation efforts
- Final approver/signatory on all external office lease requests
- Provide N&EG guidance/policy liaison interface with other Corporate Divisions and external organizations
- Performing otherresponsibilities as assigned by the N&EG
- Expert knowledge and ability to develop and apply highly advanced principles, concepts and techniques in the field.
- Skill and ability to perform critical strategic tasks and to interpret broad strategic requirements and develop and execute plans to satisfy them.
- Ability to have major impact on organizational success and productivity, with extensive latitude for independent judgment.
- Ability to communicate effectively at the highest levels.
- Ability to contribute functional expertise to business proposal initiatives.
- Ability to develop and lead large-sized projects, including defining scope, objectives and methods.
- Ability to train and mentor more junior staff.
- Can be viewed as an expert within a specialty and as highly competent within the broad discipline, both internally and externally.
- Level of language skills, mathematical skills, communication skills, reasoning ability and computer skills necessary to perform essential functions of the job.
Education and ExperienceRequired:
Master's degree in business administration, or equivalent business experience and 10+ years of progressively responsibleexperience for a major company or division of a large corporation. Should have experience in partnering with an executive team, and have a high level of written and oral communication skills.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements (Sedentary Work):
Sedentary Work Category – The employee exerts up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, and use hands to touch or feel, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; and nothing in this herein restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Individuals must be able to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.