This incumbent in this position is responsible for directing the Accounting/Financial Operations function for DOE, and for communicating current, salient financial information to internal DOE and regional boards, and when applicable, to outside independent auditors. The incumbent exhibits technical proficiency and a granular understanding of the DOE financial data by leading/managing the preparation of all annual financial statements and monthly reports for each regional school. The incumbent also leads strategic initiatives for business process improvements and operational efficiency.
- Manage proper receipts and disbursements of internal and external funds.
- Monitor restricted assets and investments.
- Monitor the transfer of funds between the nine regions.
- Monitor cash outflows and manage working capital requirements to ensure proper controls are in place to move funds for operational school expenses (payroll, accounts payable, etc.).
- Supervise DOE grant accountant who creates financialreports for the grant programs
Financial/Operational Controls, Audit Process and Business Improvement
- Provide assistance in the designing and implementation of policies and procedures to minimize operational risk.
- Interact with various Archdiocesan entities to ensure proper recognition of intercompany transactions.
- Direct the preparation of the year-end financial statements and account analyses and work closely with the outside independent public accounting firm in connection with year-end audits.
- Perform financial statement consolidations.
- Spearhead strategic initiatives for business process improvements and operational efficiency.
Budgets/Communication of Financial Information
- Assist the budget directors, and the appropriate DOE personnel in the preparation of annual budgets. Secure approval of the annual budget.
- Attend meetings with departments as necessary, and ensure an open line of communication to meet the operating and financial needs of the regional schools.
- Review monthly and quarterly operating reports detailing operational performance.
- Direct the consolidation of the annual operating budgets, including monthly forecast and variance reporting.
- Attend and present at regional board and committee meetings.
- Responsible for the preparation of monthly financial management reports of the DOE and periodic budget variance analyses for review with the Superintendent of Schools office .
Ad Hoc Reporting
- Collaborate with members of the Finance department in the development and reporting of relevant financial and operational information and other special reports and ad hoc projects as requested by management.
- Work with Treasury Supervisors and Business Managers to resolve issues related to the schools and parishes
Required Qualifications, Experience, and Skills
- BS in Accounting
- CPA/MBA preferred
- Minimum 4-5years in public accounting
- 10+ years in not-for-profit institution