Chief Accounting Officer
Our client is one of the largest non-profit organizations in the Metropolitan New York region. They operate a number of educational institutions which are organized into nine regional groups. The institution is known worldwide. They are currently seeking a Chief Accounting Officer to join their financial management team and be responsible for directing the Accounting/Financial Operations function and for communicating current, salient financial information to regional boards, and when applicable, to outside independent auditors.
In this role, you will exhibit technical proficiency and a granular understanding of all financial data by leading and managing the preparation of all annual financial statements and monthly reports. You will also lead strategic initiatives for business process improvements and operational efficiency.
? Accounting/Cash Management
- Manage proper receipts and disbursements of internal and external funds.
- Monitor restricted assets and investments.
- Monitor the transfer of funds between the nine regions.
- Monitor cash outflows and manage working capital requirements to ensure proper controls are in place to move funds for operational school expenses (payroll, accounts payable, etc.).
- Supervise grant accountant who creates financialreports.
- Supervise accounting staff who create financialreports for the Education Department.
? Financial/Operational Controls, Audit Process and Business Improvement
- Provide assistance in the designing and implementing policies to minimize operational risk.
- Interact with various entities to ensure proper recognition of intercompany transactions.
- Direct the preparation of the year-end financial statements and account analyses and work closely with the outside independent public accounting firm in connection with year-end audits.
- Perform financial statement consolidations.
- Spearhead strategic initiatives for business process improvements and operational efficiency.
? Budgets/Communication of Financial Information
- Assist the budget directors in the preparation of annual budgets and secure approval.
- Meet with departments as necessary, to meet the financial needs of the regional schools.
- Review monthly and quarterly operating reports detailing operational performance.
- Direct the consolidation of the annual budgets, including monthly forecast and variance reporting.
- Attend and present at regional board and committee meetings.
? Ad Hoc Reporting
- Respond to requests for special projects and/or support.
- Collaborate with members of the Finance department in the development and reporting of relevant financial and operational information and other special reports.
? Staff Training
- Enhance the organizational expertise by mentoring the Director of Accounting, Director of Budgeting and Financial Operations, Director of Finance, and accounting staff.
- Monitor training of Coordinators, new principals, regional superintendents and business managers.
Required skills and experience:
? $230K -250K Salary
? World class benefit plan
? Generous paid time off
? Great culture and work / life balance