The Chemical Engineer Researcher will lead efforts in the development, scale-up and industrialization of new processes for a variety of chemical technologies. This includes identifying and developing technologies to reduce costs or improve efficiencies for existing units and inventing new products and process technologies to support long-term business objectives.
This is an exciting career opportunity to work in a state-of-the-art research facility along-side our technical team of experts. HTC is located at the Channelview Complex, one of the largest petrochemicalfacilities in the Gulf Coast with approximately 2,000 employees, covering 4,000 acres, just 19 miles from our corporate Headquarters in downtown Houston. This is a direct-hire position with competitive base salary, bonus, 401K matching, generous benefits package, pension plan and employee discounts.
- Lead projects to identify and develop innovative newprocesses thatsupportthe company’s business objectives. This will include:
- New idea generation and project definition
- Experimental design for bench scale laboratory equipment and in pilot plants
- Ensure that objectives and experimental plans are well-prepared and communicated for effective project execution with the highest attention to process and personnel safety
- Design of pilot test units from lab to demonstration scale, and protocols to efficiently generate data for process development.
- Provide leadership and direction to technicians/operators
- Documentation and presentation of experimental results
- Work with the Engineering and Manufacturing organizations to plan and execute industrialization plans including plant trials, where needed.
- Maintain a strong emphasis on safety. This includes responsibility for conducting thorough safety analysis of experimental programs.
- Identify and evaluate new or emerging technologies, research areas and growth opportunities to drive business growth, cost reductions, and improvements to company safety and environmental performance.
- Develop expertise in the company’s core technologies. This includes developing a good understanding of competitors’ processes to drive technology leadership internally.
- Work effectively with R&D researchers, staff, technicians, and management for competent performance of job functions
- Work with Manufacturing, Global Engineering and the Businesses for alignment of project activities and efficient execution and implementation of R&D projects. May lead multi-functional project teams to support local or worldwide business objectives.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Minimum PhD in Chemical Engineering with preferably 0-5 years of industry experience.
- Preference will be given to candidates with a background in reactor and/or process design and scale-up.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing with technicians, fellow researchers, plant engineers, management, and executive levels is essential.
- Must be comfortable making presentations to senior management in-order to obtain support for projects.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple and/or changing priorities with minimal supervision.
- Strong technical orientation, able to use and build on their technical education, training, and experience to perform well in an R&D work environment.
- Needs to be highly creative in proposing new projects, optimizing process concepts and finding ways to meet project objectives.
- Excellent problem-solving skills required.
- Highly self-motivated individual with demonstrated ability to drive for results.