Job ID: SEA000167
A wholly owned subsidiary of Danaher Corporation (NYSE: DHR), Sea-Bird Electronics (www.seabird.com) is an international corporation headquartered in Bellevue, Washington. Sea-Bird Electronics is the largest manufacturer of marine instruments for measurement of salinity, temperature, pressure, dissolved oxygen, and related oceanographic variables. We offer an entrepreneurial environment that is team-centered, customer-driven, quality-focused, and growth-oriented. Working at Sea-Bird gives you access to a robust career development process and challenging "stretch" opportunities.
Sea-Bird Electronics is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. It is our policy to recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job titles, without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected characteristic, and to base decisions on employment so as to further the principle of equal employment opportunity. We follow all AA/ADAAA guidelines and are a non-smoking facility. We strongly support health, wellness, and safety, and are a drug and alcohol free workplace and test all new hires.
The Channel Sales Manager is responsible for managing global distribution through of a number of non-direct channels including:
(1) International distributors. These distributors are typically exclusive distributors for the majority of Sea-Bird Scientific products in a specified geographic region with a small overlap of non-exclusive sales through a product list shared with channel partners and global business development managers.
(2) Channel Partners. These partners are Danaher companies closely aligned with Sea-Bird Scientific who are responsible for meeting mutually agreed upon targets for bookings and revenue of Sea-Bird Scientific products and services in a specified geographic region. The product line for Channel Partners is a sub-set of the Sea-Bird Scientific product line.
(3) Global business development managers (BDMs). These BDMs are Danaher employees and are responsible for managing growth in regions such as China, India, Latin America, and the Middle East. The BDMs are typically responsible for channel partner sales, including both direct sales in the country through a Danaher company closely aligned with Sea-Bird Scientific as well as handling local distributor relationship. The product line for BDMs is a sub-set of the Sea-Bird Scientific product line. The BDMs are typically employees of the local Danaher company with dotted line responsibilities to the Channel manager.
The Channel Sales Manager role reports directly to the Vice President of Commercial.
- Responsible for daily management and support of assigned distributors and channel partners worldwide
- Establish and maintain productive, professional relationships with key distributor and channel partner personnel
- Meet assigned targets for sales volume and strategic objectives in assigned partner accounts
- Sell through partner organizations to end users in coordination with partner sales resources
- Identify and escalate potential channel conflict with othersaleschannels by fostering excellent communication internally and externally, and through strict adherence to channel rules of engagement
- Leads solution development efforts that best address end user applications
- Ensure partner compliance with partner agreements
- Drives adoption of company programs at channel partners (e.g. Salesforce.com)
- Combine technical product knowledge and understanding of unique oceanographic applications and deployment environments with a consultative sales approach to provide industry’s best system solutions and support by utilizing the company’s full range of products, 3rd party instruments and products, and general best practices in data collection, processing, and analysis
- Learn and applysales and service policies and procedures, become familiar with the company’s operations and engineering functions and communicate, liaise, and negotiate internally and externally using appropriate methods to facilitate the development of profitable business and sustainable relationships
- Viewed by distributors, channel partners, and customers as an expert in the field and relied upon to provide accurate and objective feedback and recommendations
- Maintain existing and develop new customers by corresponding in a timely manner primarily via phone and email to provide technical applications assistance, product information, price proposals, obtain purchase orders and contracts, process sales orders, and conduct market research
- Identify all technical issues of assigned accounts to assure complete customer satisfaction through all stages of the sales process and post-salessupport and resolve issues in a timely manner
- Actively engage with product management, marketing, and engineering teams within the company to convey Voice-Of-Customer (VOC) and determine if and how customer requirements might be met through recommendations for changes in product design, features, options, processes, or quality
- Visit and engage with distributors, BDMs, channel partners. and customers through domestic and international travel for in-person customer visits, formal and informal training events, scientific conferences, and trade shows
- Participate in Kaizen events or improvement project team
- Other duties as assigned
Education, Background and Qualification Requirements:
- Bachelors in science, and/or engineering required, M.S. preferred. 5+ years of experience in a technical sales environment and strong area knowledge may qualify
- Possesses strong data and fact-based problem-solving skills
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, draw valid conclusions, recommend process improvements
- Experience in sales and/or marketing to international distributors and customers is desired
- Ability to effectively interact with co-workers, vendors, customers, management and all other office staff
- Self-driven, results-oriented with a positive outlook and a clear focus on accuracy, high quality standards and business success
- Demonstrated proficiency in time management
- Mature, credible, and comfortable in collaborating with scientists, engineers, and company executives
- Communicates clearly and effectively
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals and business documents such as purchase orders, contracts, and proposals in English
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from customers, clients and managers
- Competent writer of business letters, quotations and proposals
- 2ndlanguage fluency in Spanish, Mandarin, French, or Portuguese is desired