The incumbent is accountable for acting as and managing the designated function(s) for the client. S/he is also accountable for identifying and implementing best practices related to the service(s) provided to add value to the client. Develops full knowledge of GAAP (FASB/SFAS) and deep understanding of financial and operational aspects of his/her specific industry.
Controller Primary Responsibilities
- Develops internal control policies, guidelines, and procedures for activities such as budget administration, cash and credit management, and accounting.
- Coordinates and directs the financial planning, budgeting, procurements, or investment activities for all or part of an organization.
- Monitors and evaluates the performance of accounting and other financial staff, recommending and implementing actions.
- Prepare and file annual tax returns or financial information.
- Advise management on short-term and long-term financial objectives, policies, and actions.
- Prepare, or direct preparation of financial statements, business activity reports, financial position forecasts, budgets, or reports required by regulatory agencies.
- Evaluate needs for procurement of funds and investment of surpluses and make appropriate recommendations.
- Meets financial objectives by forecasting requirements, and prepares budgets. Ability to supervise and develop staff on a small number of clients. Excellent technical ability.
Chief Financial Officer Primary Responsibilities
- Works with client to set financial policy and is an active participant in, and driver of, the overall strategy.
- Leads financial administration, planning, and budgeting.
- Frequently partners with client’s leadership on operational and strategic issues as they arise, providing recommendations based on financial analysis of projections, cost identification and allocation, and revenue/expense analysis.
- Oversees longer-term budget planning and cost management. Monitors progress of budgets and presents operational metrics.
- Ensures financial staff maintains financial record systems in accordance with appropriate principles and monitors the use of funds.
- Manages cash flow and forecasting, directing financial accounting. Coordinates audit activities.
- Ability to effectively and efficiently manage multiple client engagements. Builds strong client relationships and becomes a key member of client management team.
- Ability to develop key external business network and becomes service and industry thought leader.
- Maintains knowledge of client’s organizational policies and procedures, federal and state policies and directives, and current accounting standards.
The Controller & CFO reports directly to the Outsourcing Principal in charge of the client. S/he regularly interacts with Managing Principals, industry Principals, service Principals, and other functional groups within CLA and at the client site. S/he supervises accounting services staff which may include CLA accounting services staff, client accounting services staff, or both.
- Minimum of 10 years’ relative work experience as a CFO, Controller, Accounting Manager, or equivalent work.
- Experience working with private industry clients/customers.
- Experience working with small- to mid- size businesses (around the $10-50M revenue).
- BA/BS degree in accounting or related field required.
- CPA highly preferred.