The CFO/Controller Outsourcing Leader performs a combination of Controller and/or CFO functions as part of the client’s outsourced accounting services team. Our Dallas, TX. Office is looking to hire a leader for our Business Operations Private Sector group. This leader will anchor the private sector group in providing Controller and CFO services to existing business, as well as, being the face of CLA’s private sector practice in the community, driving business development and building an infrastructure of talent to support that growth.
The incumbent is accountable for acting as and managing the designated function(s) for the client. S/he is also accountable for identifying and implementing best practices related to the service(s) provided to add value to the client. Develops full knowledge of GAAP (FASB/SFAS) and deep understanding of financial and operational aspects of his/her specific industry.
Controller Primary Responsibilities
- Develops internal control policies, guidelines, and procedures for activities such as budget administration, cash and credit management, and accounting.
- Coordinates and directs the financial planning, budgeting, procurements, or investment activities for all or part of an organization.
- Monitors and evaluates the performance of accounting and other financial staff, recommending and implementing actions.
- Prepare and file annual tax returns or financial information.
- Advise management on short-term and long-term financial objectives, policies, and actions.
- Prepare, or direct preparation of financial statements, business activity reports, financial position forecasts, budgets, or reports required by regulatory agencies.
- Evaluate needs for procurement of funds and investment of surpluses and make appropriate recommendations.
- Meets financial objectives by forecasting requirements, and prepares budgets. Ability to supervise and develop staff on a small number of clients. Excellent technical ability.
Chief Financial Officer Primary Responsibilities
- Works with client to set financial policy and is an active participant in, and driver of, the overall strategy.
- Leads financial administration, planning, and budgeting.
- Frequently partners with client’s leadership on operational and strategic issues as they arise, providing recommendations based on financial analysis of projections, cost identification and allocation, and revenue/expense analysis.
- Oversees longer-term budget planning and cost management. Monitors progress of budgets and presents operational metrics.
- Ensures financial staff maintains financial record systems in accordance with appropriate principles and monitors the use of funds.
- Manages cash flow and forecasting, directing financial accounting. Coordinates audit activities.
- Ability to effectively and efficiently manage multiple client engagements. Builds strong client relationships and becomes a key member of client management team.
- Ability to develop key external business network and becomes service and industry thought leader.
- Maintains knowledge of client’s organizational policies and procedures, federal and state policies and directives, and current accounting standards.
The Controller & CFO reports directly to the Outsourcing Principal in charge of the client. S/he regularly interacts with Managing Principals, industry Principals, service Principals, and other functional groups within CLA and at the client site. S/he supervises accounting services staff which may include CLA accounting services staff, client accounting services staff, or both.
- Minimum of 10 years’ relative work experience as a CFO, Controller, Accounting Manager, or equivalent work.
- Experience working with private industry clients/customers.
- Experience working with small- to mid- size businesses (around the $10-50M revenue).
- BA/BS degree in accounting or related field required.
- CPA highly preferred.