The CEO Communications Writer & Strategist will be the lead content creator for CEO Francis deSouza, responsible for producing high quality external, digital and internal communications aligned with Illumina’s mission to unlock the power of the genome to improve human health.
We are looking for an exceptional writer who can work with senior leaders and key subject matter experts to brainstorm, craft, and deliver thoughtful, compelling scripts for keynote presentations, social media, video content, and written communication. The CEO writer will also work closely with the graphics team to create slides of the highest quality and ensure flawless execution and delivery.
Close collaboration with Francis is required, in addition to various communications teams, including Global Marketing, Social Media, Public Relations, Employee Communications, Government Affairs and Investor Relations, as well as key stakeholders and influencers across the business.
This is an exceptional opportunity to help Francis communicate his and Illumina’s vision for genomics and reimagine what’s possible for the future of healthcare. The role is based in San Diego or Foster City, CA.
• Establish communication strategy and message map, ensuring buy-in from key stakeholders. Formalize content strategy and syndication of messages across channels.
• Craft compelling content on behalf of the CEO, translating technical jargon into meaningful stories and developing powerful messaging that drives Illumina’s corporate positioning.
• Stay up to date on current affairs that may be relevant to CEO communications and build a solid network of subject matter experts to provide background, opinions and clarification.
• Partner with the Social Media team to maintain CEO’s social media presence, ensuring real-time response as required by current events or problematic activity.
• Partner with Employee Communications team to develop content for internal communications, including talking points, presentation slides, multi-media, scripts, etc.
• Partner with Public Relations team to identify external speaking engagements that support core messaging platform, in partnership with communications teams.
• Develop specific metrics and adjust strategy and tactics over time based on results.
• Partner with outside agency consultants to deliver on CEO communications plan.
• Ensure that CEO communications deliverables stay on track and deliver results, manage reviews, overall cadence and regular metrics reporting.
• Minimum education required: Bachelor's degree in Journalism, English, Communications, or related field required
• Background in healthcare, life sciences, biology or genetics or equivalent knowledge strongly preferred
• Years of relevant experience: 5+ years of relevant experience working senior executives
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with flawless application of grammar and AP style
• Ability to develop relationships at all levels of an organization and across functions with a collaborative work style but a bias for action
• Knowledge of genetics and/or biology preferred
• Project management skills with strong ability to manage details for precision and accuracy
• High ethical standards, able to manage very confidential information
• Curious and willing to learn, but also driven to excel and deliver results
• Strong research capabilities with resourcefulness in gathering information from various sources
• Fluency in multi and social media - video production, digital communications
• Ability to work independently and manage multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment