The Global Antigen/Antibody Center of Excellence Manager is responsible for establishing the business strategy for antigen (Ag) and antibody (Ab) production across Bio-Rad’s global manufacturing sites, including strategic planning for production capacities, capabilities and technologies to meet the evolving needs of the company. Creates and directs an integrated team that provides superior products and service to Bio-Rad customers worldwide. Works closely with other Operations and business leaders to ensure development and execution of business processes, including order fulfillment, materials management, quality, engineering, manufacturing, and new product development and transfer. Provides leadership for customer satisfaction, process and cost improvement, flexibility, innovation, regulatory compliance and development of team members through involvement, coaching and empowerment. Develops and implements manufacturing plans in support of the business plan. Decisions and recommendations are made in the face of uncertain and dynamic conditions, where errors in judgment may seriously impact customer or supplier relationships, result in substantial loss of scheduled production, or deterioration of product/service quality.
- Directs and integrates three or more broad business processes, each focused on providing customer service, through managers with overall responsibility for the direction of assigned groups. These key processes are Manufacturing, Planning, Purchasing, Quality Control, Engineering, and Project Management. Oversees the coordination of cross functional short/long term strategic and tactical business plans and monitors progress, making adjustments as necessary to maximize business performance at the site. Partners with Quality Assurance and Regulatory Affairs to ensure product quality is maintained, and regulatory compliance requirements for the site are achieved.
- Takes the lead in creating an environment that encourages the involvement and commitment of everyone in the organization, aligned to satisfying customer needs and achieving business objectives.
- Directs the development of budgets and product/service cost goals for all activities within Manufacturing. Monitors and controls budgets through the planned period to ensure that goals are met and variances are controlled.
- Ensures that worldwide regulatory compliance for services and manufactured products is achieved at reasonable cost, in order to maintain and enhance competitive advantage.
- Responds to changing business conditions, with an emphasis on customer satisfaction through continuous process improvement. Identifies and communicates key indicators of performance, results achieved and plans for improvement.
- Collaborates with other business functions on new product development and effective technology transfer and introduction into manufacturing of new products and processes.
- Creates and monitors plant policies to ensure that sales demands are met, safety is maintained and equality standards are enforced to meet ISO and other quality certification, regulatory and industry requirements.
- Develops manufacturing strategies to meet division(s) goals for new products, gross profit margin, inventory and delivery, plant utilization, in source versus outsource decisions, quality, and capital investment.
- Leverage Bio-Rad’s internal antigen and antibody manufacturing capabilities by developing a strategy that defines the necessary equipment, personnel and knowledge to meet internal and external demand for antigens, antibodies, and other biological materials.
- Assess the current capabilities of antigen and antibody manufacturing across all Bio-Rad facilities to identify where expertise and best practice exist. Register capabilities and capacities of Ag/Ab production operations and assess technological maturity.
- Define a global Ag/Ab strategy, including determination of key Centers of Excellence, rationalization of operations, required redundancies and capacity expansions, and necessary investments to support Bio-Rad’s demand requirements.
- Develop roadmap for achieving the Global Ag/Ab Strategy, and oversee execution of projects that move Bio-Rad’s operations towards globally harmonized processes, and an optimized footprint.
Job Scope: 3 plants, 150+ FTE, 15+ managers and supervisors, $25M+ direct spending budget, $5M capital spending budget, $45M+ COGS, and $40M+ inventory.
- Good leadership and communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills. Ability to make sound business decisions.
- Ability to develop subordinate managers and produce high performance teams across multi-departmental organizations.
- Proven ability to drive change resulting in multi-million dollar cost savings.
- Operational knowledge of LEAN, GMP manufacturing, Six Sigma, 5S, and other quality tools.
- Ability to lead setting up new production site.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Engineering, Chemistry, Biology or related field. MBA or equivalent preferred.
- 15+ years of increasingly progressive experience in manufacturing or closely related field with experience operating in a GMP environment, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Technical background to understand the complex world of antigen and antibody production and the ability to recognize opportunities presented by Bio-Rad’s internal capabilities.
- Experience managing biological operations in an FDA regulated industry preferred.
- Proven experience evaluating and implementing large capital equipment and automation projects.
- Leadership/management experience. Proven ability to lead and inspire large teams (100+ employees)
- Experience working with large ERP systems (SAPpreferred)
- Intermediate experience with/knowledge of quality systems, materials management, production, purchasing, distribution, cost reduction, project management, engineering EH&S, new production introduction, product transfer management, production scale up, and/or planning helpful.
What's in it for you?:
Competitive pay and great benefits including medical, dental, vision, 401K, and more!
Opportunities for growth and training.
Stability of a profitable 60+ year old company.
Great work environment.
Bio-Rad is a global leader providing a broad array of clinical diagnostics and life science research products. With a team of more than 7,800 employees and a global network of operations serving our customers, we help people live longer, healthier lives.
Bio-Rad was founded over six decades ago and has continued to provide the healthcare industry with innovative and useful products that help life science researchers accelerate the discovery process and medical diagnostic labs obtain faster, better results.
Requisition ID 2017-4355.