ChenMed is transforming healthcare for seniors. We provide big answers to big problems in health care delivery. ChenMed is a full-risk primary care market leader with an innovative philosophy, unique physician culture and end-to-end customized technology. These things allow us to provide world-class primary care and coordinated care to the most vulnerable population – moderate- to low-income seniors who have complex chronic diseases.
Through our innovative operating model, physician-led culture and empowering technology, we are able to drive key quality and cost outcomes that create value for patients, physicians and the overall health system. Our model allows us to practice medicine the way it should be practiced. By recruiting focused physicians and reducing their doctor-to-patient ratios, we increase patients’ “face time” during each monthly appointment and help foster stronger doctor-patient relationships. Our model also drives and enhances compliance with treatment plans.
As a result of our efforts, our patients realize lower hospital admissions. Their overwhelming response to our approach is reflected in our aggressive, organic growth and net promoter scores in the low to mid 90s, which is unheard of in any industry. Read more about our results and the value of the ChenMed model.
As a company, we are making a difference in the lives of seniors and the health care system overall.
This crucial role is a transitional position towards becoming a center clinical P&L leader (i.e., Senior Medical Director [SMD]) in the organization. The incumbent Center Medical Director (CMD) will leverage his/her prior leadership experience to expedite learning and delivering the ChenMed clinical model. The CMD may be simultaneously completing PCP Black Belt Training and Mastering the Medical Director Essentials within a combined and accelerated PCP and medical director training pathway.
We are an outcomes-focused, value-based organization. This position will be subject to, and have center oversight for, the following metrics/competencies that are regularly assessed to help our clinicians become successful and reach Partnership status: panel size, patient outcomes (admissions and hospital sick days), CG CAHPS and net promoter score (patient experience), HEDIS and clinical gaps closures, and medical cost effectiveness measures. Each primary care provider (PCP) will have goals for these metrics and will be expected to work towards those targets with their center and market leadership as well as their care team. Culture is also very important in the medical centers and CMDs are expected to ensure PCPs are leaders in our organization and helping champion a positive culture of love, accountability, and passion.
The CMD will demonstrate and lead the center’s providers towards:
- Accountability and oversight for outcomes: The CMD demonstrates accountability for outcomes, strong clinical care, and cost-effectiveness for each patient in their panel of at least 300 risk adjusted patients (75% partial panel). They understand that they can strongly influence the patient’s outcomes by building a trusting relationship and helping them change behaviors.
- Coaching for health: Act as a health coach, rather than just a consultant for sickness, by helping patients set short and long-term health goals, partners with the patient to work toward the goals, and frequently follows up on those goals on the path to improved health for their patients.
- Simplifying for action: Simplify and prioritize appropriately so that behavior change is more actionable, both for the patient in helping them achieve their goals, and when leading their care team towards their performance goals.
- Leadership: Lead center Super Huddle (SH) and Transforming Care Meeting (TCM) weekly care meetings, as well as support Center Manager/Center General Manager. The goal is for the CMD to increasingly assume responsibilities of the SMD to directly supervise, performance manage and train PCPs in his/her assigned center; as well as be accountable for maximizing overall clinical value while engaging physicians to improve clinical quality, efficiency, outcomes, cost effectiveness, and physician/patient satisfaction. This will partially be accomplished by leadership rounding (monthly 1:1), which initially will be jointly conducted with the market clinical leader. In addition, the goal for the CMD will be over time to increasingly manage day-to-day clinical and business operations to improve the financial performance of the center, in partnership with the Center Manager/Center General Manager.
The CMD will be required to demonstrate the ability to function both independently and in collaboration with other health care professionals. The CMD will work closely with the applicable center and market leadership to ensure compliance with guidelines along with participating in risk and quality management programs, clinical meetings and other meetings as required that promote patient health and company goals.
CMD Training will include
- PCP Black Belt Training and PCP Essentials
- Medical Director and Center Operations
- ChenMed Leadership Pathways Program
- Medical Economics and Center Financial Performance
- Sales and Growth
The CMD will adhere to strict departmental goals/objectives, standards of performance, regulatory compliance, quality patient care compliance, and policies and procedures.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES (for own panel initially and progressively is accountable for center):
- Independently provides care and oversight of outcomes, as applicable, for patients with acute and chronic illnesses encountered in the older adult patient.
- Takes full accountability for patient care and outcomes and will appropriately seek consultation from specialists when needed; remains involved in, and responsible for, the detailed care of the patient.
- Engages with the hospitalist whenever one of their patients is in the hospital (regardless of whether the hospitalist works for ChenMed or not).
- Responsible for assessment, diagnosis, treatment, management, education, health promotion and care coordination and documentation for patients with acute and complex chronic health needs.
- Leads their care team consisting of care promoter (medical assistant), care facilitator, and care coordinator for patients able to come to the office.
- For patients that are unable to come to the office—in hospital, SNF, LTC or home-bound, the CMD will engage with the transitional care team and others including case managers, acute and transitional-care physicians, and other resources that may be available depending on the market (e.g. telehealth).
- Leads Super Huddle (SH) and Transforming Care Meeting (TCM) weekly, as well as supports Center Manager/Center General Manager. CMD partners with Center Manager/Center General Manager to co-lead center stand-ups and deliver exceptional patient care across their respective teams.
- Joins national director biweekly meetings and attends annual/biannual clinical leadership conferences.
- Plays an active role in the management of their center and will help cover for other providers who may be out for various reasons. Takes an active role as needed in recruiting patients for the center and additional providers for the company.
- Drives a positive culture that supports a cohesive team approach, drives excellent results and relationships, and promotes "best place to work" culture measured by employee engagement scores.
- Upon successfully making progress on attaining consistent primary care performance trending towards that of a ChenMed PCP Partner, maintaining trajectory of medical director training, the CMD will be asked to increasingly assume the role and responsibilities of a Senior Medical Director, which may include:
- Managing, mentoring and coaching PCPs in his/her assigned center to deliver outstanding clinical outcomes, including sampling other PCP’s daily huddles within their center
- Leadership rounding with the PCPs (reduced involvement of market clinical leader)
- Partnering with Center Manager/Center General Manager to drive continued improvement of center financial performance, and helping increase center membership
- Performs other duties as assigned and modified at manager’s discretion.
At ChenMed, If you are an innovative, entreprenuerial minded, over-achiever who is extremely passionate in helping people and revolutionizing Healthcare again, we are that dynamic and exciting company you are looking for!
After applying, we encourage you to "follow" us on LinkedIn (ChenMed) as well! This way you can stay informed and up to date on what’s happening around our organization and start your path to becoming part of our FAMILY!