Overview of Company
Titan America, LLC, is a leading environmentally and socially progressive heavy building materials company located in the eastern United States. Titan America is part of the TITAN Group, an independent, multi-regional producer of cement and other related building materials. Our products include cement, aggregate, ready-mixed concrete and fly ash beneficiation. TITAN Group has a record of continuous growth since its establishment in 1902. It has expanded its production and distribution operations into 13 countries, employing more than 5,500 people. Our products protect human life and personal property, improve the quality of life, generate economic prosperity and connect society.
Scope of Position
We have an excellent opportunity for a Cement Plant Manager in our Roanoke Cement Plant located in Troutville, VA. This salary exempt position will report directly to the Senior VP of Cement Manufacturing. The primary function of this position is to lead and manage the cement plant in the areas of safety, production, maintenance, quality and other production related activities. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
Responsibilities & Expectations:
- Promote safety program, compliance with safety standards and participate in site safety meetings.
- Monitor operations to ensure compliance with MSHA regulations for safety and health while maintaining environmental stewardship.
Productivity & Efficiency
- Establish plant standards, short-term goals and long-term strategic plans regarding production, maintenance and other plant improvements.
- Monitor, inspect and review all plant activities including production operations, maintenance activities and quality controls.
- Collaborate with Commercial Sales Leadership to effectively get product to market and serve customers.
- Instill a culture of continuous improvement. Identify opportunities to improve operational efficiencies, track improvement progress, quantify financial impacts and encourage/reward behaviors that progress a culture of innovation and improvement.
- Analyze plant costs, improve productivity and maximize plant efficiency in a cost-effective manner.
- Conduct meetings with plant staff personnel to communicate, coordinate and discuss plant operations including areas such as production, quarry, maintenance and special projects.
Leadership & People Development
- Serve as active member on the Titan America Mid-Atlantic Business Leadership Team.
- Affect job performance of plant operations team members (all levels) through motivation, goals and providing feedback. Provide leadership by directing, coaching, supporting and delegating as needed.
- Create and maintain trusting relationships with plant operations team focusing on training and development to foster growth of new skills while leveraging current strengths of team.
- Meet with various stakeholders to include government agencies and community groups concerning plant activities, specifically pertaining to compliance with environmental regulations, policies and standards.
- Additional major functions include: planning, annual budgeting and monthly forecasting, reporting of department's effectiveness, reviewing and creating Capital Expenditure Requests (CER), safeguarding assets, & environment compliance.
- Manage all related production/shipping processes.
- Solid understanding of safety, environmental and quality regulations (quality control and quality assurance procedures).
- Pyro, Maintenance and Finish Grinding knowledge.
- Formal training or certification in Six Sigma or Lean Manufacturing is desirable.
- Self-starter with continuous improvement approach.
- Strong leadership skills with technical knowledge to plan, lead and execute strategies. Demonstrated ability to function effectively as a member of a team and as a team leader.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, draw valid conclusions and follow-up on critical issues.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business information, professional journals and technical procedures.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with professional decorum.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and organize responsibilities in fast-pace culture.
- 10-15years’ experience in various positions in cement industry. Prior experience as Maintenance Manager or Production Manager of a cement plant will be considered a strong plus.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering (Mechanical, Chemical, Electrical, Mining) required. Master’s degree will be considered a strong plus.
- Labor relation experience desirable. The manufacturing site is inclusive of represented team members.
Critical Success Factors:
- Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Creativity/Innovation: Develop new and unique ways to improve operations of the organization and to create new opportunities.
- Foster Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
- Lead by Example: Positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the organization.
- Show Bias In Action: Display and reward the urgency, accountability, action orientation and quick handling of challenges that rapidly drives things forward.
- Make Decisions: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks involved. Make clear decisions; which are timely and in the best interests of the organization.
- Organize: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals and track details/data/information/activities.
- Plan: Determine strategies to move the organization forward. Set goals, create and implement actions plans and evaluate the process and results.
- Solve Problems: Assess problem situations to identify causes. Gather and process relevant information to generate possible solutions, make recommendations and/or resolve the problem. Have a firm understanding of root cause analysis.
- Ensure Outside-In Focus: Exhibit a deep understanding of the industry (and its trends), as well as, the customer and their needs in ways that it makes it easy to do business with the company.