CB Regulatory Operations - Control Manager, Senior Associate
JPMorgan Chase & Co. is a leading global financial services firm with assets of $2.5 trillion and operations worldwide. The firm is a leader in the investment banking, financial services for consumers and small business, commercial banking, financial transaction processing, and asset management. Information about JPMorgan Chase & Co. is available at www.jpmorganchase.com .
The Commercial Banking (CB) Control Manager Senior Associate will be responsible for providing support for the end-to-end execution of Quality Assurance testing and Control & Operational Risk Evaluation (CORE) testing, including control breaks and resolutions, to reduce financial loss, regulatory exposure and reputational risk. The role will be part of the CB Regulatory Operations Business Operations Executive (BOE) team reporting directly to the Control Manager Executive Director. The role will be working closely with various Operational roles and peers across the BOE team and will engage with legal, compliance, risk, audit, and technology control functions.
Control Management (CM) maintains a strong and consistent control environment across the firm. With Control Managers appointed for each Line of Business, Function and Region, there is a comprehensive coverage and joint accountability model with the business executive that promotes early operational risk identification and assessment, effective design and evaluation of controls and sustainable solutions to mitigate operational risk.
Control Management focuses on four areas:
1) Control design and expertise
2) Risks and controls identification/assessment
3) Control breaks and resolution
4) Control governance & reporting
- In partnership with stakeholders, evaluate and perform an end-to-end analysis of the business' risk and control environment to identify significant gaps and weaknesses and determine root cause of control breaks
- Ensure that controls are properly designed, operating effectively, and essential to a proactive risk and control culture that leverages proven evaluation strategies and sound change management protocols
- Perform ongoing analysis of program related data (e.g., KRI/KPI) and develop ad-hoc reports as requested to support business-related programs and strategies
- Assist with development of Control & Operational Risk Evaluation (CORE) mapping and documentations through participation in end-to-end process walkthroughs and deep dives with business units
- Support Control Management Operational leads to develop a joint and common methodology to support the transformation from RCSA to CORE.
- Provide control related due diligence to business units to foster a proactive risk and control culture that leverages proven evaluation strategies and sound change management protocols
- Partner effectively with colleagues across the firm, business, operations management, legal, compliance, risk, audit, regulators and technology control functions to drive consistent and rigorous operational risk practices and Control programs including: control committees, risk mitigation, key risk indicators, control design and effectiveness evaluation/testing
- Help establish control governance and reporting to identify meaningful metrics to inform on health of operational risk and control environment; escalate control breaks based on key reporting indicators; and provide input to control committees and forums.
- Perform Quality Assurance testing and/or CORE testing in support of control objectives and action plan validation.
- Leverage technology and process improvements to mitigate reliance on manual processes.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience required
- 5-7 years of experience in financial services industry with background in controls, audit, quality assurance, operational risk management, or compliance preferred; or equivalent subject matter expertise in a relevant business related function/operation
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio).
- Business knowledge - ability to understand the Commercial Banking business / knowledge of regulation surrounding business
- Team Player - strong influencing skills and ability to develop strong partnerships across businesses
- Communication/presentation - excellent written and verbal communication skills with an ability to influence business leaders in a meaningful and actionable manner
- Networking - strong interpersonal skills; strong collaboration and relationship building skills
- Work autonomously to affect change - flexible, adaptable to shifting priorities; manages competing priorities to achieve the most effective result and able to work in a fast-paced, results driven environment
- Decision Making/judgement - moderate level of independent decision making using sound judgement
- Problem solving / Analytical skills - solid critical thinking, attention to detail and analytical skills; ablity to synthesize large amounts of data and formulate appropriate conclusions
- Understanding root cause / identifying control breaks
- Developing timely and sustainable solutions
- Analyze metrics for emerging risk
- Implementation skills Writing Action Plans, Procedures
- Change Management
- Ability to make subjective and informed decisions based upon output, influence stakeholders and justify decision making