Virgin Galactic has a relaxed and informal culture that encourages individuality and innovation. You will be motivated, enterprising and enthusiastic. Company culture is such that you need to be able to “check your ego at the door”, be a self-starter, and possess a sense of humility. You will work well under commercial pressure and thrive on being given challenges and responsibility. You will communicate clearly and be confident and persuasive. You will have a high level of integrity and understand the need of complete confidentiality.
Who you are
VG is seeking an experienced procurement professional to plan, control, and supervise the supply chain activities associated with the various maintenance requirements (spares, expendables, consumables, etc.) for Virgin Galactic. You will be responsible for strategic sourcing, cost savings, cost avoidance, and value enhancement initiatives to positively impact the procurement and operational functions for Spaceport America and all future locations. As a member of the procurement team, this Category Manager-Spaceflight Maintenance will contribute to both the short and long-range growth and profitability of the organization. The ideal candidate has a strong background within the aerospace and/or a vehicular maintenance industry.
Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico (88011)
- Responsible for supporting the strategic sourcing of maintenance for the Spaceflight Systems (Spaceship Unity, WhiteKnightTwo, and other support aircraft) of Virgin Galactic.
- Implement and communicate strategic sourcing and category management projects with aligned goals (customer service, quality, cost savings, cost avoidance, on time delivery, efficiencies, etc.).
- A liaison between VG maintenance team and our sister company, TSC, LLC, to insure that supplier agreements contemplate and support the maintenance requirements (spares, tech pubs, service, warranty, etc.)
- Develop negotiation strategies and lead negotiations to support those sourcing initiatives.
- As a customer facing resource, lead projects internally as a ‘sourcing’ consultant for the various effected stakeholders.
- Identify barriers to successful performance within the organization and provide potential solutions for their removal.
- Support inventory management, quality, and total cost of ownership initiatives as required.
- Leverage best practices to drive improved quality, delivery excellence, and continually reduce costs and improve the products and services for our customers.
- Execute strategic goals and objectives in support of the overall company goals and objectives.
- Provides support to ensure compliance with international and U.S. laws related to import/export activity.
What you bring
- Minimum of 5 years of experience as a category manager, supply chain manager, or senior buyer is required; At least 3 years’ experience in the support of aerospace or similar vehicular maintenance categories.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Demonstrates a proven record of exceeding customer expectations. The ability to consult, manage projects, and positively influence customers, peers, and suppliers.
- Strong knowledge of office software skills including MS Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint.
- Understanding of import/export processes including ITAR.
- Practical approach/ leads by example. Happy to be hands on and work closely with cross-functional teams.
- Knowledge of various procurement methods, strategic sourcing, and supply chain practices.
- Subject Matter Expert within the associated categories, market places, indexes, and trends arena.
- Prior demonstrated supervisory, management, and leadership skills.
- Excellent communication skills (customers, team, management, and suppliers).
- Organized, detail-oriented, and structured approach.
- Incredible energy and passion with a resourceful attitude.
- Self-motivated. Enjoys providing leadership to teams in driving sourcing projects to completion.
- Ability to react to change and thrive in a fast paced environment.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Aerospace Management, MRO and Aircraft on Ground (AOG) experience is a plus
- Experience from a start-up environment is highly preferred.
- Strong knowledge of Oracle EBS or MRO maintenance software (we use Ultramain) is preferred. A similar ERP system (SAP, Dynamics, etc.) could substitute.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business/Materials Logistics Management, or similar is preferred. A Master’s degree would be beneficial.
- CPSM/CPM, CPIM, PMP and/or other similar certifications.
Physical and/or Additional Requirements
- Must be able to work nights and weekends as needed.