Unum is currently looking for two Category Managers! One Category manager would be supporting our Business Services organization, where they would be working closely with our strategic advisory partners. The second role would be supporting our IT organization, for this role someone with prior experience supporting IT would be preferred.
The Category Manager’s are part of Unum’s Supply Management organization and are responsible for leadership and governance or oversight of category spend, strategic sourcing, contracting, and supplier relationship management across the enterprise.
These responsibilities include strategy development and implementation, cost and value analysis, contract negotiation and coordination, and ongoing supplier performance management for all assigned categories. The position will generate value by enhancing or adding to Unum’s capabilities, maximizing Unum’s purchasing power, reducing Unum’s total costs, and mitigating Unum’s risks. Incumbent will be a trusted business partner who regularly works with global suppliers and consults with senior leaders and subject matter experts across the enterprise to develop solutions that support Unum’s business objectives.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Engage closely with business partners to develop deep understanding of business goals and objectives and influence supplier alignment
- Establish and foster successful, positive working relationships between internal stakeholders and suppliers
- Develop, influence and implement category strategies across the business, including development and execution of RFX documents; develop selection criteria and drive selection of suppliers in collaboration with cross-functional teams; conduct supplier negotiations and ongoing supplier management
- Establish a strategic roadmap (3-5 years ahead) that supports business objectives for the assigned category areas
- Proactively lead market-intelligence gathering and analysis activities.
- Manage and improve supplier diversity within our supply base and support local economic development programs
- Develop and communicate category strategies to leaders and cross-functional teams to ensure that business expectations are met
- Drive consolidation of spending, seek out synergies across the enterprise, and deliver annual budgeted cost savings across the enterprise
- Challenge and influence business stakeholders and budget owners for the business rationale and specifications of required goods and services
- Work with the business partners to create standard Service Level Agreements, metrics and scorecard programs to effectively measure and manage supplier performance
- Develop negotiation strategies, gain alignment from stakeholders, lead cross-functional, category-based negotiation teams, and implement appropriate supplier risk analyses
- Ensure that category strategies, sourcing plans and actions are aligned to deliver agreed-upon contributions to savings goals
- Own contract performance, including monitoring, supplier adherence, measurement, reconciling and overall stewardship of supplier contracts to mitigate risk
- Develop and maintain an optimal and effective supply base that meets the needs of business stakeholders.
- Facilitate and support periodic business reviews (e.g., quarterly) with suppliers and business partners where reports, metrics and partner scorecards are shared to drive continuous improvement and consistently high quality, high value results; includes developing efficient processes and mechanisms in coordination with Legal, Risk, ISO, Compliance, Global Security, IT architecture, and other corporate functions
- Manage ongoing supplier relationships with regards to business continuity, change management, and issue escalation and resolution
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree (Business Administration, Supply Chain Management preferred) and at least 5-8 years of Procurement, Strategic Sourcing, Category Management, Supplier Management experience or equivalent work experience; MBA preferred
- Global sourcing experience preferred
- Relationship and communication skills with ability to collaborate with and influence internal and external partners across all levels and geographic markets; proven ability to initiate and maintain stakeholder engagement; ability to develop a deep and thorough understanding of business category goals and objectives as they relate holistically to the enterprise
- Proven track record of success in Category Management, including category strategy development, sourcing, performance management, and supplier performance management
- Demonstrated negotiation, presentation and decision-making skills
- Ability to perform financial analysis (i.e., supplier capital projects, ROI, NPV, financial status, make vs. buy, lease vs. buy, etc.)
- Ability to successfully manage time pressures, work against deadlines, and deliver strong results on schedule; ability to prioritize based on customer or business needs, urgency, and importance
- Strategic and innovative thinking and planning skills, balanced with proven track record of delivering tangible results in complex and matrix work environment
- Strong initiative with ability to set stretch goals and define steps to achieve results
- Ability to articulate difficult ideas and concepts through concise verbal and written communication
- Advanced PC skills required (Excel, Power Point, Word, etc.)