Functions as a supply chain professional with primary responsibility to assortment planning and assortment recommendations of all products on a regional and/or national scale. Responsible for the execution of category reviews for all sales channels and manages those reviews toward maximizing sales and profit opportunities for UNFI customers, and when strategically aligned, increasing sales opportunities for UNFI. A core subset in the management and execution of category reviews and assortment recommendations, especially in a supplier single point of contact alignment, is fostering an environment of professional interaction which provides a path to growth and profit for UNFI, its customers, and suppliers.
EEO / VETERANS / DISABLED
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND BASIC DUTIES:
- Provides input to the SRM team for distribution center item assortment inclusion and exclusion based on customer business intelligence gained through customer consulting activities.
- Regularly reviews SKU mix independently, and with cooperation of suppliers, sales, and SRM team, to ensure UNFI distribution centers stock the necessary items required within the marketplace.
- Designs and recommends strategies to capitalize on market opportunities which includes small emerging suppliers/items as proposed by other UNFI supply chain and sales associates.
- Maintains a current knowledge of industry trends, opportunities, channels, products, and competitors to support supplier development opportunities. Documents and reports economic, technological, and competitive factors which may impact business opportunities.
- Retail Category Managers work in conjunction with SRM’s to conduct category reviews as required for both UNFI and customers. Reviews are region and DC specific utilizing UNFI, syndicated, and customer data when applicable.
- Identification of trend opportunities from a National / Regional comparison.
- Development of core plan-o-grams from reviews to be mindful of key UNFI relationships I.E. Clearvue, Blue Marble, etc.
- Development and communication of category highlights from reviews with a listing of new and discontinued items as well as suggested replacements where applicable
- Develops and recommends retail execution strategies to implement and optimize revenue increase through the use of category reviews. This may be inclusive but not limited to UNFI promotion contribution rates, supplier promo activities, margin price point suggestions, etc.
- Identifies and recommends potential new products and services which may increase penetration into new and existing markets.
- Monitors supplier fill rate performance
- Bachelor’s degree in business or related field
- Excellent understanding of market penetration strategies, market development techniques, and market segmentation strategies, coupled with a high level insight to retailer trends and consumer behaviors.
- Excellent negotiation and management skills.
- Excellent understanding and knowledge of promotional techniques, protocols, pricing strategies, distribution channels, and competitive set.
- Strong knowledge of manufacturing, manufacturing costs, and product price components.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of retail and merchandising.
- Five or more years of related business development in category management, sales, purchasing or related fields.
- Managerial experience is required
- Experience in managing category relationships with an associated experience in supplier mentoring and training.
- System implementation experience is preferred
- Excellent leadership abilities.
- Able to organize, coordinate, and direct projects
- Strong oral and written communications abilities
- Solid analytical and technical skills
- Excellent presentation skills
- Computer literate with ability to use all related hardware and software
- Tracking Code 14536-935