The Category Manager will form an integral part of the SVI Procurement function in the achievement of strategic and operational objectives. With a strong, solid background in economic research, statistical and data analysis, interpreting and forecasting material market trends, and using historical market data to forge economically sound future purchasing strategies, the candidate will take a proactive approach in reviewing current systems and procedures, making recommendations and implementing changes. The role is key to leading the Company forward in developing sound procurement strategies by analyzing and interpreting relevant economic data and market trends.
The Category Manager will report to the Director of Procurement and will advise and support the whole procurement team to achieve economic targets set. He or she will ensure that the team is kept at the forefront of daily market trends and will advise and support all members of the procurement and supply chain team.
This role will have a clear project focus, using analysis of market data to support the procurement function at a strategic level and to help achieve objectives required to aid economically sound production of existing and new product development.
- Understand and perform spend analysis, using SAP, or other sources
- Develop close working relationships with associated departments and plants.
- Strategically identify new vendors and use knowledge of current economic conditions and market forecasts in setting terms and negotiating supply agreements where appropriate, including discount structures and volume rebates.
- Interpret, forecast, and report on market trends to ensure materials and services are purchased at the most competitive price and delivered on time for production.
- Assess and establish strategic economic relationships with key vendors who are aligned to the company's needs.
- Evaluate data on buyer function and its methodology and identify and implement improvements.
- Analyze and verify historical procurement data in order to design policies which will allow the company to continually improve procurement methods and drive down external spend.
- Perform vendor visits domestically. Such visits may be at a very short notice.
- Control and analyze economic relationships with several of the company's external vendors with particular emphasis on the purchase of materials and services.
- Handle other tasks and responsibilities as assigned by management.
- New Products / Product Development:
- Full involvement specifically with technical and sales departments on the economic evaluation of new and existing materials and their successful integration to the production end of the business, including identifying and analyzing current and future trends in the global market place.
- Stringent material control is required to assure company targets are met. This includes spend, scrap, inventory levels, etc.
- Minimum 5 years of strategic procurement and material sourcing.
- BA/BS Degree from an accredited College or University, Degree in Supply Chain Management, Economics, Business Administration, or Materials Engineering is preferred.
- SAP experience is preferred.
- Experience with MS Office applications: Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Project Management.
- Must be able to problem solve and handle multiple tasks effectively.
- Strong business acumen and ability to analyze how economic trends in the agricultural commodities market will impact the company's business required.
- Ability to drive aggressive implementation plans and schedules.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively at any level.
- Strong analytical, economic research, data interpretation and negotiation skills.
- Experienced in creation, negotiation, and administration of contracts.
- Must have strong organizational skills.