Located in Branchburg, NJ
The Category Manager provides oversight and direction to the Category Management function for the categories of goods and services that are assigned to them. This includes the management of sourcing, negotiations, contract management, contract administration and supplier performance management functions. The Manager will ensure continuity of supply of assigned goods and services through effective management of the communications with vendors to manage quality and cost. The Manager will also drive continuous improvement in their areas of responsibility through productivity projects and process improvements.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Develop a deep understanding of the global market, including conditions and competition. Evaluate contract relationships through bid analysis and market comparatives, including identifying savings realized and new potential opportunities.
- Leverage strategic sourcing and category management practices to identify emerging opportunities within the supply community.
- Monitor, assess and adjust sourcing strategies based on supplier and market intelligence.
- Implement multiple strategies leveraging Total Cost of Ownership, Lease vs. Buy, and Economic Value models
- Develop and present an annual plan to key stakeholders for spend categories under areas of responsibility.
- Negotiate commercial terms with vendors including pricing, delivery, stocking levels, blanket purchase orders, or other key terms being sought in the agreement
- Coordinate with Production Management and Planning to align purchases to meet production plans
- Drive productivity projects for commodities and services in their area of responsibility in order to meet annual objectives for cost reduction and operational improvement
- Confer with vendors to obtain product or service information such as price, availability, and delivery schedule ( includes demonstrated ability to expedite purchases when required)
- Assist in the review of bid proposals and negotiates contracts with vendors to obtain the most cost effective pricing for company as required.
- Serve as an escalation point for issues or discrepancies with vendor service or deliveries.
- Maintain raw material vendors and approvals, vendor assessments, vendor evaluations, and vendor specifications.
- Conduct vendor audits including written reports to be issued to cross functional team
- Manage raw material vendor performance including the administration of scorecards and the facilitation of periodic business reviews with key vendors.
- Regularly exercise discretion and independent judgment.
- Bachelor’s degree in supply chain management, business or a related field
- 5 years of relevant experience in procurement
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated influencing skills to work cross functionally in a matrix environment
- Demonstrated proficiency in using Microsoft office applications including Outlook, Word and Excel
- Demonstrated analytical and problem solving capability
- Ability to travel 25% to visit vendors and operating sites
- Experience in the chemicals or electronics industries
- CPM certification
- Strong ERP system experience
- Demonstrated ability to implement process and system improvements
- Experience with supplier quality management systems