Category / Commodity Manager - Supply Chain
Category / Commodity Manager - Supply Chain
The Category Manager (CM) will be the lead for negotiations and supplier management with our client's supply base, driving the strategic sourcing process on a global basis.
The CM will lead; support the development, implementation and management of global strategies to provide the segment with optimal supply assurance, pricing, flexibility, quality and delivery performance. The CM benchmarks new processes, approaches, and technology that will continually drive improvements on performance and business results. The CM researches, identifies and analyzes current and emerging procurement trends, develops a deep understanding of market conditions, develops proposed global supply chain solutions focusing on total cost of ownership. The CM presents proposed Supply Chain solutions to gain leadership understanding and support. The CM negotiates major and/or global agreements which include negotiating prices, terms and conditions, risk mitigations and warranties in support of those agreements and is the primary supplier relationship owner. The CM builds and leverages strong working relationships with internal customers and key suppliers to assure cost, quality, and delivery targets are met. Working closely with the Global Supply Chain Team / Local Management, the CM will communicate and implement strategies, contracts and pricing to all regions with an overall focus on maintaining good supplier relationships and total costs of ownership to a minimum to achieve maximum advantage for the company and its customers.
Responsibilities of the Category / Commodity Manager - Supply Chain
- Address all areas of Category management including Category business plans, global market and pricing analysis and procurement support.
- Contribute to development of the company's strategic Category objectives and goals.
- Develop global Category strategies with defined plans for cost savings, risk assessment and mitigation and service level agreements.
- Lead in the development and execution of Category negotiation strategies with suppliers, including specific targets for pricing, service, quality, intellectual property, tool ownership, exclusivity and inventory.
- Monitor current Category market conditions, technology roadmaps and identify supply/demand challenges & opportunities.
- Develop subject matter expertise in assigned commodities through external research, benchmarking and analyzing cost drivers and life cycle costs. Provide market intelligence and Category price trends. Develop deep understanding where our competition sources their components and materials, as well as determining the respective costs of same.
- Recognized as the Center of Knowledge for respective Category areas, and shares this information with key stakeholders to enable more effective planning, forecasting and execution.
- Develop and maintain should-cost models that are relevant to the global marketplace.
- Utilize strategic sourcing process to manage assigned commodities and finished products for multiple locations of our client and subsidiaries. Identify all stakeholders for each major category and form cross-functional team to define and implement strategy that reduces cost, improves quality and delivery performance and improves our client's competitive position. Build case for significant change and develop consensus among key stakeholders.
- Provide rigorous analysis of spend data and market trends and dynamics to prioritize and launch sourcing initiatives within designated spend/Category categories
- Analyze current spend and evaluate current suppliers. Consolidate spend across multiple manufacturing locations to create leverage, analyze purchasing trends and develop sourcing alternatives. Identify new high potential suppliers on global basis.
- Deliver 5% year over year net cost reductions for commodities and program that fall within assigned responsibility.
- Manage respective supplier relationships and performance, including but not limited to dispute resolution
KPI’s Or Metrics:
- Develop key performance measures for chosen suppliers and negotiate on multiple variables to award longer-term strategic contracts that result in significant cost reduction and improved service levels.
- Support new product introduction (NPI) programs as Program Manager by coordinating all sourcing and supplier qualification activities on a global basis.
- Manage multiple projects, coordinate activities of team and track progress/schedules.
- Monitor current Category market conditions, technology roadmaps and identify supply/demand challenges and opportunities.
- Participate on special projects in Sourcing area as appropriate.
Qualifications of the Category / Commodity Manager - Supply Chain
- Bachelordegree in Business, Finance, Engineering, or Supply Chain Management from an accredited college or university is required.
- Minimum of 4 years of relevant, progressive Strategic Sourcing, Category Management or equivalent work experience and expertise.
- Demonstrated knowledge of strategic sourcing process and tools and their application in restructuring purchases of a Global Supply Chain and Global Multi-plant manufacturing business.
- Track record of delivering significant cost reduction and service level improvements.
- Expertise in negotiation of long term contracts with safeguards against identified risks.
- Ability to identify key performance measures and evaluate alternatives.
- Demonstrated ability to build and lead teams attaining cross-functional consensus.
- Excellent communication skills at all levels – clearly articulate position with clarity at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to work with key stakeholders in multiple global locations and at various levels.
- Strong analytical problem solving abilities through the use of contemporary tools and methods
- Willing to travel up to 25%.
Compensation for the Category / Commodity Manager - Supply Chain
- Salary for the Category / Commodity Manager - Supply Chain $75, - $110,
More information about the job
Is Relocation Available? Yes, nationwide
Are you open to sponsorship? No
This position is: Backfill
Is there a possibility to work remote? No
Is there equity? No
Are there flexible work hours? No
Does this position have direct reports? No
Who does this position report to?
To the Manager of Global Sourcing Process Improvements and the Global Sourcing Manager
What are the 3-4 non-negotiable requirements on this position?
- Must have previous Strategic Sourcing experience.
- Negotiating contracts on a global scale.
- Must have a 4 yr. College Degree.
- Excellent communication skills ability to work in cross functional team environment.
What are the nice-to-have skills?
Experience working for a global Manufacturing company would be nice, as are Bi Lingual skills