Carrier Sales Manager
Our client is a rapidly growing mid-market 3PL freight brokerage serving the food and food packaging industry. It seeks to hire a Carrier Procurement Manager in Minneapolis, MN.
The Carrier Procurement Manager is tasked with leading the effort to expand the carrier network and develop strategies to ensure it meets customer requirements.
This role is responsible for procuring carrier capacity at advantageous rates for refrigerated and dry van trucking. The Carrier Procurement Manager will oversee, train and support Carrier Sales Representatives assigned to account team. It supports account teams by sourcing carriers based on customer needs, negotiating rate contracts, and managing carrier service delivery and compliance. Eligible candidates should possess an understanding of current market conditions, competitive carrier rates and a positive and engaging personality.
The Carrier Sales Manager should be experienced with using transportation management systems (TMS), DAT/ITS and Microsoft Office.
This role is ideal for experienced Carrier Sales Managers who seek greater opportunity for leadership, advancement and compensation. Our client will only consider candidates with prior freight brokerage experience.
- Source carriers for dry van and refrigerated shipments based on customer needs, negotiating rate contracts, and managing carrier service delivery and compliance.
- Manage the Carrier Sales team to effectively and efficiently recruit and onboard qualified carriers to enhance the company's network.
- Qualify carriers based on valid operating authority, insurance and safety records.
- Maintain a carrier database to ensure carrier credentials are current.
- Monitor progress of shipments to ensure coverage, on-time performance and the resolution of mid-transit issues.
- Build strong and positive relationships with key carriers and find ways to improve processes and performance.
- Ensure MacroPoint usage to over 75% on a week-to-week basis.
- Coordinate with carriers to ensure capacity availability and service delivery performance.
- Supervise and train Carrier Sales Representatives to support account teams.
- Help carriers to resolve issues with shippers that impact service and cost.
- Manage and resolve carrier claims.
- At least 5 years of work experience in carrier procurement with established carrier relationships, a solid understanding of current market conditions, competitive rates, and industry trends.
- Experience with developing and supervising Carrier Sales Representatives.
- Knowledge of carrier qualification and regulations regarding operating authority, insurance and safety.
- Ability to manage a team of Carrier Sales professionals.
- Knowledgeable of freight market trends based on seasonality, geography and specialized carrier type.
- Motivation to self-manage and continuously contact carriers to quote freight and gain capacity.
- Candidates must know how to use load boards, like DAT/ ITS, to procure carrier capacity.
- Ability to conduct RFQs, qualify carriers, negotiate rates, on-board new carriers.
- Experience in setting up and maintaining a carrier database.
- Proficiency with transportation management systems (TMS).
- Strong communications skills with a positive and engaging personality.
- College degreerequired, especially in Supply Chain Management or Business Management.