Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Our Optical Communications segment has recently evolved from being a manufacturer of optical fiber and cable, hardware and equipment to being a comprehensive provider of industry-leading optical solutions across the broader communications industry.This segment is classified into two main product groupings – carrier network and enterprise network. The carrier network product group consists primarily of products and solutions for optical-based communications infrastructure for services such as video, data and voice communications. The enterprise network product group consists primarily of optical-based communication networks sold to businesses, governments and individuals for their own use.
Purpose of Position:
- Engage Senior technical leadership at Carriers on technology evolution and challenges
- Demonstrate leadership and credibility in Carrier optical communications networks and interoperability with wireless and copper networks and operations.
- Collaborate with industry value chain of system vendors, component manufacturers, construction and installation companies and consultants in conjunction with Carrier customer engineers to identify and develop new solutions for convergednetworks.
- Global subject matter expert in carrier networktechnologies (optical transmission, photonic technologies, wireless and copper communications to include but not limited to VDSL2, Vectoring, G.Fast, RF transmission, CRAN, ODAS, 4G LTE, 5G, satellite, G/GEPON, WDM PON, NG-PON2, DWDM technologies).
- Specific emphasis on wireless solutions for both mobility and fixed wireless access to include network topology, system requirements for macro and small cell, backhaul and fronthaul and equipment vendor solutions and capabilities.
- Engages directly with Carriers and system vendor engineers to understand technology roadmaps, architectures, network strategies, advantages and limitations of each portion of the network.
- Match customer requirements with Corning solutions and identify Corning technology capabilities in optical/wireless/copper convergence to apply against customer problems. Together with system vendors and carrier customers identify long term technology roadmap to align Corning Carrier Networks technology focus.
- Raise Corning personnel level of solutions and system knowledge through training sessions, workshops, webinars. Develop deep customer technical relationships through customer technology workshops, visits to Corning technology centers and joint technology projects.
- Support Corning Carrier technology roadmap to include technologyevent maps, communication system requirements, technology trends (access, metro, long haul) and identify commercial, PLM and technology capability gaps.
- Deep and broad technical knowledge on Carrier networks, optical communications, wireless communications, photonic technologies, FTTH, FTTx, xDSL, RF transmission, and the ability to collaborate with Carrier leadership,engineers and system vendors
- Ability to work across functional teams in a matrix environment
- Qualified candidates will have work experience in optical engineering, wireless systems, Carriers, Engineering firm or communications gear supplier.
- Must possess an in-depth understanding of optical networks and how they interact with wireless and copper systems
- 10+ years of experience in the Telecommunications industry
- BS in Engineering (preference in Optical or ElectricalEngineering)
- MS in Engineering or equivalent experience is strongly preferred.
Req #: 6081