Our client is a nationwide distributor of building supplies with hundreds of distribution points around the country for job-site delivery. The company is located in Beloit WI. It seeks to hire a Transportation and Carrier Development Manager of inbound supply chain logistics from its suppliers. Primary responsibilities include demand planning, carrier capacity procurement and value delivery across a vast network of facilities. It requires strong analytical ability, expertise with TMS, knowledge of transportation industry trends and carrier quality management. The manager will oversee, train and support a team of seven logistics planners, coordinators and analysts. The client prefers candidates with prior transportation experience in 3PL or distribution businesses who seek greater opportunity for leadership, advancement and compensation.
- Manage daily inbound transportation operations serving the nationwide distribution network.
- Provide supervision, leadership and training to seven direct reports.
- Collaborate with key suppliers to plan demand for product and carrier capacity throughout the year, accounting for seasonality and the need to adjust to weather-related emergencies.
- Source and maintain adequate carrier capacity for flatbed and dry van truckload and LTL shipments by planning, negotiating rate contracts, and managing carrier service delivery and compliance.
- Build strong and positive carrier relationships and find ways to improve processes and performance.
- Facilitate daily on-time delivery of building products to distribution points.
- Produce analytics on transportation costs, delivery performance, carrier quality and trends.
- At least 10 years of work experience in transportation management and carrier procurement, preferably with 3PL and/or distribution companies.
- Experience with developing and supervising logistics coordinators and analysts.
- Candidates must know leading practices in carrier procurement and management with established carrier relationships, a solid understanding of current market conditions, competitive rates and industry trends.
- Demonstrated success in procuring carrier capacity by conducting RFPs and negotiating rate contracts, as well as using load boards like DAT/ITS to access the spot market.
- Knowledge of carrier qualifications and regulations regarding operating authority, insurance and safety.
- Experience working with suppliers, internal sales and carriers to plan for product and transportation demand.
- Strong analytical skills and experience with TMS.
- Strong communication skills with a positive and engaging personality.
- College degree preferred, but not required, especially in Supply Chain, Transportation or Business.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirement for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.