Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals, and branded generic medicines. Our 109,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Nourish the world and your career as part of the Nutrition team at Abbott.
Our Nutrition business develops science-based nutrition products for people of all ages, from helping babies and children grow, to keeping adult bodies strong and active. Millions of people around the world count on our leading brands - including Similac®, PediaSure®, Pedialyte®, Ensure®, Glucerna® and ZonePerfect® - to help get the nutrients they need to live their healthiest life.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Develops, plans, coordinates and directs engineering aspects of projects across multiple locations that are of major scope and importance. Manages multiple, often concurrent projects and meets expectations. Makes difficult decisions regarding priorities among projects.
- Understands the business needs and has a thorough knowledge of the customer when developing a project scope. Incorporates business foresight of emerging technological trends. Leads development of Project Charter and documents the requirements that satisfy the stakeholder's needs and expectations. Establishes engineering project objectives and technical criteria for evaluating project results and activities of the project team.
- Uses established PM tools and techniques (FEP, Cash Flow Projections, Scope / Schedule Control, etc.) to stay within authorized budget limits and achieve the overall project and organizational objectives.
- Develops project plan documenting the actions necessary to define, prepare, integrate and coordinate all subsidiary plans. Supports development of project strategy to align and achieve key customer business objectives. Contributes to the development of long-term business and organizational strategies.
- Directs and manages Project Execution by performing the work defined in the project plan to achieve project objectives.
- Closes the project by finalizing all activities across all the Project Management Process Groups to formally complete the project or phase.
- Defines roles and responsibilities. Directs efforts of internal and external resources.
- Monitors and controls project work to meet the performance objectives defined in the project plan. Focuses on cost and milestone achievement to optimize resource utilization.
- Reviews change requests, manages and approves changes to the deliverables, organizational process assets, project documents, and the project plan.
- Coordinates with corporate or divisional purchasing for procurement of equipment and / or services and contracting. Effectively leverages and manages services and suppliers.
- Implements common project management tools and methodologies. Contributes to the development of project management best practices.
- Anticipates and identifies areas of risk and mitigates risks through early risk assessments and implementation of fallback / mitigation strategies.
- A Subject Matter Expert in project engineering. Participates on internal, cross-divisional teams to develop and align procedures and standards. Participates on group or divisional task forces.
- Performs tasks, such as writing Requests for Capital Expenditures (RCEs), safety / quality checklists, scope documents, etc.
- Anticipates and resolves problems and crisis situations requiring fast, astute decisions with rapid implementation by utilizing technical training and / or experience.
- Assists in the development and execution of validation protocols.
- Participates in professional affiliations.
- Directs others in the execution of: the design of products / processes / equipment / systems / facilities by applying engineering methods, concepts and techniques.
- Ensures the project design complies with all engineering standards, project objectives and customer needs.
- Benchmarks with other divisions.
- Works with customer on project approach / design to optimize asset value.
- Problem Solving /Innovation
- Conceptualizes complete solutions. Creates or coordinates the solutions for complex problems; integrates regulatory and operational needs; reviews constructability strategy; performs cost / benefit analysis.
- Explores multiple alternatives. Leads cross functional teams in resolving major project hurdles. Organizational Interface • Mentors others by sharing knowledge and expertise and providing feedback and guidance.
- Anticipates, identifies and implements ways to increase customer satisfaction. Establishes relationships and good communication channels with customers; documents agreements and commitments.
- Prepares written communication. Conveys information effectively through formal and informal documents with team members, designers, technicians, and other personnel, both internal and external to Abbott, using appropriate communication protocols. Exhibits advanced ability to apply concepts of careful communication.
- Establishes networks. Contributes willingly and incorporates the ideas of others; shares resources, knowledge and accountability to benefit the objectives of the business.
- Builds relationships. Initiates and cultivates open, honest relationships with colleagues, customers, contractors, and vendors by establishing rapport, developing an understanding of others' needs, promoting common goals, and following through on commitments.
- Acts as a trusted advisor. Balances bottom line objectives of a project with the long-term interest of customer. Compliance • Complies with all regulations and standards for quality, Environmental, Health, Safety, and Energy (EHS&E) Global Policies, Abbott Engineering Standards, and other governance areas as applicable.
- Ensures quality and effectiveness of assigned tasks and key project results through sound design and project management processes.
- Has full awareness of the potential consequences (defects and failure modes) of design changes.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE YOU'LL BRING
- A Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, science, or closely related discipline is desired, or equivalent technical experience plus demonstrated competence
- 10+ years of significant engineering and / or operational experience. A post-graduate education / degree is desired, and may contribute towards the desired years of experience.
- A career history marked by a consistent series of contributions and accomplishments. Proven track record of managing projects to completion, using extensive external resources.
- Demonstrated excellence in breadth and depth of knowledge within project management.
- Interacts well with diverse groups within engineering and maintains strong working relationships with internal and external collaborators.
- Listens to and understands others' points of view and articulates tactfully and respectfully one's own perspective orally, in writing, and in presentations.
- Works well with other engineers in a collaborative, fast-paced goal-driven environment.
- Possesses interpersonal skills to negotiate and reconcile differences.
- A technical background in health care, nutritional products, laboratory diagnostics, medical devices, pharmaceutical, or similar industries (preferred).
- Demonstrated competency with financial systems and in fiscal control. Project accounting experience.
- Understanding and management of procurement & contracting processes.
- Travel 25% (mostly domestic to our 7 Plants in the US)