The Capital Engineering and Planning Lead will provide engineering expertise across all Spark’s facilities and operations. This will include leadership, management, and technical support directly as the Subject Matter Expert and through various teams and team members. This lead will develop and implement a standard capital planning process which will include feasibility assessments/due diligence process, cost estimating and business case analysis requirements. He or she will work closely with key stakeholders in the definition of the lead end user requirements for capital projects. This lead will be accountable to stay current on engineering trends and effectively manage capital and engineering projects using best practice Project Management tools. This role will facilitate the development of major capital projects from feasibility assessments, to initial concept through basic design and full funding approval at which time she/he will transition the oversight role to the Project Execution Lead.
50% of time:
Capital Planning: Responsible for the proper planning of all capital projects to include:
- Develop and implement a business guideline that supports the planning phase of capital projects
- Feasibility Assessments/Due Diligence Process
- Project Estimating, spend planning
- Business case analysis
- Work closely with capital program lead to support the capital approval process
- Work with procurement in vendor selection process (i.e. RFP, Bid, Pre-qualifications)
- Work with Procurement on the development and maintenance of the preferred vendor program
50% of time:
- Responsible for the oversight and standardization of facility design within the Spark Portfolio
- Work closely with the Workplace Experience Lead in the development and maintenance of the standard office guideline
- Collaborate with all functions and departments to identify technical and physical infrastructure needs, define end user requirements, and develop and execute solutions appropriate to meet business objectives.
- Responsible for the development and approval of the end user requirements, including the approval of the requirements for Corporate Facilities
- Coordinate Federal, State, and City building standards & codes, landlord rules and requirements, and Spark standards and requirements, and integrate such into all engineering projects and approaches and assure appropriate compliance on Spark’s behalf.
Manage the team to achieve business goals and objectives.
- Foster Spark’s Culture. Role model the Spark Values. Create an environment where team members thrive by living our truths, always in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. Emphasize to employees that “how” they achieve performance objectives is just as important as “what” they accomplish.
- Hire & Integrate. Know what skills, experiences and capabilities are needed to achieve current and future business goals. Take an active role in attracting and selecting talent who are inspired by our Mission, Vision and Values. Consciously create a team with diverse backgrounds, experiences, skill sets and perspectives. Help new team members successfully integrate into Spark so they can actively contribute and add value as quickly as possible.
- Manage performance. Ensure every team member knows what is expected of them, what it takes to be successful, and how they are progressing. Provide team members with continuous and on-going performance feedback, holding everyone accountable to achieve results while demonstrating the Spark Values. Help team members understand how their work contributes to the overall success of Spark by continuously communicating priorities, decisions and changes; adjusting goals as needed.
- Develop people. Understand each individual team member’s career goals. strengths and motivators. Partner with your employees to identify areas for development, conduct coaching conversations regularly and provide guidance on ways to develop through on the job experiential learning and stretch opportunities.
Education and Experience Requirements
- BS degree in an engineering field, e.g., Mechanical, Chemical, etc., is required. An advanced degree is preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in engineering functional and project leadership, including small to large capital projects, $1M to $100M.
- Demonstrated experience in project planning and execution, including design, construction, start-up, and operational transition of office, lab, and manufacturing facilities and support equipment.
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience supporting multi-site manufacturing and R&D operations in life science operating companies.
- Experience developing and managing functional and project management systems, processes, controls, tools, etc.
- Experience with GXP compliance as well as USP, EP, ICH and FDA guidelines a plus.
- Experience with GXP regulatory requirements and inspections is a plus.
- PMP certification considered a plusKey Skills, Abilities, and Competencies
Key Skills, Abilities, and Competencies
- Demonstrated success in leading and being a member of cross-functional teams.
- Planning, organizing and leadership skills
- Proven success within a multi-cultural organization
- Exceptional oral and written communications skills
- Competency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook) required
- Leadership skills in promoting open and effective communication. Conflict resolution, and proven success in making clear and effective presentations to senior management