Google's custom-designed machines make up one of the largest and most powerful computing infrastructures in the world. The Hardware Testing Engineering team ensures that this cutting-edge equipment is reliable. In the R&D lab, you design test equipment for prototypes of our machinery and develop the protocols used to scale these tests for the entire global team. Working closely with design engineers, you give input on designs to improve our hardware until you're sure it meets Google's standards of quality and reliability.
As a CAD (Computer Aided Design) / PCB (Printed Circuit Board) Design Engineer, you will be working on fast-paced boards for consumer devices. You will work with Hardware designers and Mechanical engineers throughout the full product development life-cycle, supporting PCB outline, component placement and routing. You will work as an integral part of the Systems Hardware Development team, interfacing with external fabricators or vendors to apply state of the art industry standards, tools and technologies.
Google's mission is to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful. Only one thing consistently stands in the way between our users and the world's information—hardware. Our Consumer Hardware team researches, designs, and develops new technologies and hardware to make our user's interaction with computing faster, more powerful, and seamless. Whether finding new ways to capture and sense the world around us, advancing form factors, or improving interaction methods, our Consumer Hardware team is making people's lives better through technology.
- Part footprint creation in conjunction with PCB Librarian.
- Be accountable for PCB outline and layer setup; component placement and signal routing.
- Interface with board fabrication vendor to select and use correct impedance rules, DFM and DFT rulesets.
- Work with hardware engineers, PCB designers and fabricators for development and sustaining of actual products.
- Keep up with and know industry standards and technologies.
- BS in Electronics or equivalent practical experience.
- 5 years of Computer-aided Design (CAD) or Printed Circuit Board (PCB) design experience.
- Experience with mechanical design.
- Experienced with state of the art PCB design tools and methodology.
- Experience with Cadence and Allegro tools.
- Proficient with high-speed board designs or layouts; familiar with high density ball-grid array's (BGA), blind and buried via's.
- Familiarity with all phases of hardware development including: schematic entry, manually generated constraints, requirements of the constraints and board layout.
- Ambitious and highly motivated with organizational skills; excellent verbal and written communication skills.