Oversees the creation, maintenance and control of all documentation required for the engineering and manufacture for Weber-Stephen Products LLC. Works closely across R&D as well as operations to ensure that critical information is communicated clearly and required changes are managed in a controlled manner with appropriate level of approval. Manages assignments and prioritization of work to the team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following, other duties may be assigned
- Demonstrates leadership abilities within a fast paced R&D team environment to meet generally defined project objectives.
- Cross functional collaboration to prepare and maintain detail CAD documentation in support of various new product development teams including 2D and 3D models required to support product development.
- Manage and prioritize work flow to the Drafting Team and contractors, insure that team members understand the expected deliverables as related to content, accuracy and timing.
- Utilize drafting knowledge to guide team in creation or modification of models, drawings and specifications using SolidWorks CAD program and AutoCAD (AutoCAD on a limited basis).
- Assign Work Orders from SAP and other Drafting and Modeling Tasks.
- Insures Drafting Team follows documentation standards. Clearly and consistently documents standards across the organization.
- Provides appropriate review of completed work to insure that outgoing documentation is accurate and completed to uniform standards.
- Create or modify models/drawings per Drafting Requests and Engineering Changes (if needed).
- Backup Liaison to SAP.
- Provides CAD hardware and software technical support and develops solutions for all application problems. Stays abreast of evolving technical solutions and applications and makes recommendations to upgrade Weber-Stephen capabilities when appropriate.
- Works closely with staff to identify technical and leadership growth opportunities, mentor and support training and stretch assignments as appropriate for individuals on the team. Supports recruiting of new talent to meet the changing needs of the organization.
Position will direct and lead the work of CAD Modelers/Drafters and requires a self starter able to work with minimum supervision in a fast paced R&D team environment.
Education and/or Experience
Qualifications include post high school education and a strong working knowledge of SolidWorks CAD software through formal training and applied experience. A minimum of 10 years drafting/design experience, comprehensive knowledge of good drafting practices, dimensioning techniques, and geometric tolerancing. Experience in management of enterprise engineering documentation for complex consumer or commercial appliance products or equivalent; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Proficiency also required in MS Office Suite applications.