Buying Director - Beauty - 0817310HSN’s Merchandising teams are responsible for developing our unique product assortment. Our buying teams partner with world class designers and industry experts to develop HSN exclusive products and build their brands. The teams create product and brands to inspire, entertain and engage our customers through assortment selection, product development, pricing, presentation and promotion. Buyers collaborate with Merchandise Planners, Programming Managers, Television team, Quality Assurance and Vendors to development and create the product selection that sets HSN apart. This team develops business strategies that drive sales through assortment selection, product development, pricing, presentation, promotion and ROI.
A Day in the Life
- Buying responsibility and financial accountability for Beauty.
- Lead, manage and develop staff.
- Responsible for the daily management of the Beauty organization which falls under his/her direction.
- Direct staff in identifying and negotiating price and terms, buying, developing and executing new products, concepts, shows, and ideas that will be successful in Electronic Retail and which meet or exceed the expectations of our customers.
- Ensure that staff negotiates the best cost and terms for the products.
- Analyze sales trends and be aware of inventory levels within area of responsibility.
- Partner with Human Resources to attract, hire, and develop talent to build a strong organization and team culture that align with our values.
- Work with others to plan and improve the business and maximize opportunities.
- Perform duties according to company policies and procedures with latitude for independent judgment and initiative.
Keys to SuccessAt HSN, if you are Agile, Innovative, Pioneering, Dynamic, Boundaryless, Passionate, Customer-Centric, Collaborative, and Results-Focused, you will love it here!Must Haves
- Min 8 years of retail experience with at least 5 years in a leading buying role in Beauty
- Min 5 years managing/leading others
- BS/BA Degree
- Understanding of the merchandising process and product lifecycle i.e. Open to Buy
- Understanding of the product development lifecycle
- Understanding of portfolio management
- Knowledge of the various manufacturing processes for appropriate lines of business
- Must be able to think both globally/strategically as well as tactically
- Ability to analyze reports and draw conclusions/recommendations
- Ability to remain flexible and willing to change strategies as business needs dictate
- Strong understanding of staff development, mentoring and coaching skills
- Strong interpersonal skills particularly with building and managing peer relationships and relationships with senior management
- Excellent communication skills both written and oral
- Strong understanding of merchandising financials and the ability to manage profitability
- Advanced Knowledge of Word, Excel and Outlook (ex. Creating and formatting formulas, links, graphs, charts and presentations
- Ability to travel both domestically and abroad as required
- Awareness of emerging online retail trends and usability best practices