Summary: The Buyer-1 is responsible for source section and procurement functions directly associated with the company’s need for products and services in one of two focus areas – pharma or non-pharma, not both. These products and services are to be secured at cost, quality and delivery competitive levels consistent with Company policy and performance standards. The Buyer-1 will maintain knowledge of all aspects of the purchasing role for the designated focus area – pharma or non-pharma.
Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Prepare and process Purchase Requests and Purchase Orders
- Secures goods and services for store locations and corporate headquarters
- Negotiate cost of goods, payment terms and shipping terms with suppliers
- Research vendor options and pricing for goods and services
- Retrieve and analyze purchasing data
- Complete GPO Declarations as necessary - verify GPO pricing
- Research and resolve invoice pricing issues
- Meet and manage relationships with existing and potential sales representatives
- Work with Accounts Payable Department to identify and approve new vendors
- Create and maintain sophisticated and professional looking data presentations using Excel
- Create and manage sourcing projects from start to end, including final analysis that includes (but not limited to) savings projections and lessons learned
- Maintain accurate Vendor Books, as necessary
- Run scheduled and ad-hoc data reports as needed
- PHARMA ONLY- Familiarity with pharma adjudication software system to include:
- Verify vendor drug costs, NDC’s, AWPs, WACs at each location
- Process all drug add/change forms for all pharmacy sites
- PHARMA ONLY - Research internet for new and hard-to-find drugs
- PHARMA ONLY - Locate cost effective generic alternatives, informing sites of best options to order
- PHARMA ONLY - Notify Reimbursements Department of drug price increases
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned
Bachelor’s degree (B.A./B.S.) or equivalent from four-year College or technical school required; and six years of relevant purchasing experience.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to comprehend and apply principles of basic math while analyzing data and generating reports.
Ability to apply principles of logical thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have some previous experience with software products, preferably purchasing software, in addition to working knowledge of Microsoft products, especially Excel and Word.
Information Security Expectations:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to abide by Diplomat’s information security policies, employee handbook and security and privacy regulatory requirements. Each employee is responsible for the secure and appropriate handling of Diplomat information, information received by customers, other companies and/or external parties.
Knowledge, Skills and Other Abilities:
• Negotiating Skills
• Critical Thinking Skills – using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
• Judgment and Decision Making Skills – considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
• Analytical Skills – analyzing needs and product requirements
• Knowledge of production processes, quality control, costs and other techniques for maximizing the distribution of goods
• Knowledge of economic and accounting principles and practices and the analysis and reporting of financial data
• Must be able to maintain confidentiality
• Excellent verbal and oral communication skills
• Deductive Reasoning Skills – ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
• Time management
• Oral and written communication skills
• Positive work attitude
• Organization skills
• Prioritizing skills
• Detail oriented
• Multi-task abilities
• Goal oriented
Requisition Number 17-0494