The Business Systems Architect will be a results-oriented strategic leader that shares accountability for the successful vision and execution of strategic initiatives. The BSA works with business stakeholders and technical architects across all domains to drive holistic technology implementation across Value Streams and facilitate the realization of strategy. They operate without boundaries across the IS organization to establish and ensure business capability to strategic initiative alignment. They are granted wide spheres of independence for the purpose of researching methods to best introduce and integrate business capabilities. They cultivate technical leadership throughout the IS organization and ensure that IS is effectively supporting the enterprise strategy. This position consistently operates at an Advanced Level
Essential Job Functions:
- Works with business stakeholders and technical architects to drive enterprise strategy across Value Streams.
- Fosters adaptive design and engineering practices.
- Drives collaboration of programs and teams around a common technical vision.
- Maintains a high-level, holistic vision of enterprise solutions and development initiatives.
- Helps define key technical initiatives that support Enabler Epics (SAFE) and strategic business capabilities.
- Understands and communicates Strategic Themes and other key business drivers for architecture to technical architects and nontechnical stakeholders.
- Drives architecture initiatives with the EPMO and participates in Epic analysis.
- Acts as an internal consultant, mentor and change agent across the enterprise. Develops communication plans and promotes enterprise architecture process and results to all levels within the organization. Assesses and communicates the achievement and impact of the enterprise architecture.
- Analyzes and maintains knowledge in emerging technologies, application methodologies and frameworks, system integration methodologies, industry and market trends and determines their potential impact on the business.
- Provides program / portfolio level leadership, guidance, and direction.
- Identifies and manages organizational and technical dependencies between projects and programs / portfolios, working closely with all levels within the organization.
- Demonstrates Mutual of Omaha's Leadership Objectives: Business, Talent & Visionary Leadership
- Responsible for complying with all Company Information Services policies and standards.
- Identifies and coaches future technical leaders.
- Anticipates future information technology needs based on business trends and collaborates with internal and external suppliers to successfully deliver IS solutions that address them.
- Translates ambiguities to accurately and clearly “tell a story” to all audiences to ensure understanding of impacts and potential risks associated with change.
- Successfully manages “change curves’ within IS associated with introduction of new technologies and directions.
- Performs as a strategic leader to guide the vision and execution of operational effectiveness and efficiency.
- Coordinates with architects across the organization to develop and maintain architecture strategy.
- Understands the Company strategic vision and priorities, then recommends and communicates the appropriate roadmaps.
- Advocates effective architectural designs and optimizes current architecture and processes. Promotes appropriate use of and adherence to reference architectures.
- Ability to envision and run workshops, white boarding sessions and architecture reviews to align key stakeholders on architecture recommendations.
- This position requires sitting over 66% of the time.
- This position requires Visual Acuity at 20 inches (or less) over 66% of the time.
- Communication - Communicate business capabilities and technical concepts to technical and non-technical audiences. Communicate with business and I/S customers. Effectively uses appropriate verbal and written communication. Strong written and verbal communication skills, presentation skills, and ability to interact with associates at all levels of the organization.
- Coaching and Mentoring - Coach, mentor and cross-train others. Helps co-workers stay focused on the overall goal. Leads by example and encourages others to excel. Serves as a positive role model.
- Planning and Perspective - Formulate and articulate strategic vision. Anticipate and prepare for emerging systems and technology needs. Uses goals and objectives to prioritize work and guide actions. Understands multiple systems or technologies. Understand interaction with other systems.
- Extensive knowledge of analysis and design of technology solutions and the relationships between multiple systems/support processes.
- Ability to develop, evaluate and present multiple solution approaches to meet business requirements and strategies.
- Proven skill in designing high-level solutions, providing technical and logical support, and defining modules and/or process components determined to be needed or modified.
- Ability to develop and maintain business partnerships with customers and suppliers at all levels, including resolving conflicts, anticipating customer needs, and prioritizing schedules from multiple customers or suppliers.
- Strong understanding of contemporary technologies relating to business, market and industry trends. Ability to apply such knowledge to support the critical systems needed.
- Comprehensive awareness of various hardware and software solutions and relationships between systems, subsystems and products.
- Ability to assimilate, interpret and draw conclusions from an extensive variety of technical and business data with multiple abstract and concrete variables.
- Proven leadership abilities and tangible success implementing strategic business initiatives.
- Understanding of business financial management and planning and experience locating ways to reduce costs and IT expenses on a large-scale basis
- Broad knowledge of insurance and financial services products, the insurance industry, related legislation, and business operation procedures and practices.
- Experience in both Enterprise and Solution Architecture
- Experience building and extending an Enterprise and/or Solution Architecture practice
- Experience working in the Business Architecture Domain
- Experience working across architecture domains
Job no: 495621