Harvard Medical School Information Systems seeks a Business Systems Analyst professional skilled in user-centered design, development, data analysis, reporting, testing, and support.
This position will support the Division of Medical Sciences, Graduate Education, and its Masters Programs by designing, developing, and implementing solutions to streamline operations and reporting. The position will collaborate regularly with the Director of Academic Administration and Education Staff to translate business needs into technology strategies and deliver innovative solutions and reports. The position will participate in the full software development lifecycle (SDLC) from project inception through ongoing production support, including data analysis, testing, and training.
The position will require experience with desktop, mobile, or web-based software applications and relational databases with a service delivery approach. Familiarity with Peoplesoft Campus Solutions, Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Suite/Oracle Analytics, or Filemaker will be a plus.
The ideal candidate will be energized by solving problems in new and innovative ways. You are comfortable working in an ever-changing environment and have the ability to engage with stakeholders to identify minimal viable product for frequent delivery of new technology solutions.
• Research, design, documentation, implementation, configuration, and validation of solutions to business needs.
• Collaborate with stakeholders to translate business needs into technology strategies, systems requirements and scoping of IT projects
• Lead definition of system requirements, gap analysis, user journey mapping and identification of feasible alternative solutions that meet defined business objectives
• Document and refine current state and future state system processes, design and review prototypes to meet key gaps and processes, and build support from technology stakeholders in solutions.
• Define Agile user stories that meet business requirements and application features, data conversion, systems integration, security, or customizations.
• Identify user story prioritization and sprint content collaboratively with the stakeholders and IT team to ensure effective delivery of IT projects
• Assess business implications of technology applications and the impact on current and future business environment. Identify process, practice, or policy change recommendations based on input from stakeholders, comprehension of the subject area, and awareness of current or new system's potential capabilities.
• Assist with change management to ensure that systems are understood and adopted by users. Develop training materials and work with change agents and trainers on training approach and delivery
• Partners with HUIT, School officials, and internal IT to assess system integration opportunitiesTypical Core Duties
- Work at a high level within a team on most phases of service analysis and consider the business implications of technology applications to the current and future business environment
- Collaborate with stakeholders to translate business needs into systems requirements and scoping
- Contribute to the definition of systems requirements, conduct gap analysis, and identify feasible alternative solutions that meet defined business objectives
- Perform user needs analysis, product evaluation, selection, customization, testing, implementation, and support
- Participate in the development of plans and policies for a unit/school
- Abide by and follow the Harvard University IT technical standards, policies and Code of Conduct
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- Minimum of two years' post-secondary education or relevant work experience
• BS/BA degree required. 5+ years experience in defining requirements for desktop, mobile, or web-based software applications and relational databases.
• Familiarity with desktop, mobile, or web-based software applications and relational databases with a service delivery approach.
• Familiarity with Peoplesoft Campus Solutions and/or Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Suite and/or Oracle Analytics and/or Filemaker
• Experience with Query manager, BI publisher, student records, conversion, component interfaces and SQL strongly desired.
• Demonstrated team performance delivering technology solutions with a service mindset approach
• Familiarity with the agile methodology and experienced working with agile frameworks and tools
• Strong analytical and critical thinking skills to solve complex issues
• Strong ability to communicate both verbally and in writing with internal and external teams
• Ability to prioritize and multitask, deadline and detail oriented
• Troubleshooting skills, problem resolution, project management and technology evaluation to meet business requirements.Certificates and Licenses
- Completion of Harvard IT Academy specified foundational courses (or external equivalent) preferred
- Work is performed in an office setting
This Staff role may start as a remote position due to the COVID-19 pandemic and while restrictions are still in place. The current remote nature of this role is considered temporary and may change as the University continues to evaluate options. While we continue to monitor the evolving COVID-19 guidelines, local on-campus work may be expected for some roles. Harvard Medical School does support flexible schedules, subject to individual departments' business needs.
Harvard will require COVID vaccination for all Harvard community members who will have any on-campus presence.Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. More information regarding the University's COVID vaccination requirement and exceptions may be found at the University's "COVID-19 Vaccine Information" webpage: http://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-information/.
Please note that we are currently conducting a majority of interviews and onboarding remotely and virtually. We appreciate your understanding.
We are committed to cultivating aninclusive workplace culture of faculty, staff, and students with diverse backgrounds, styles, abilities, and motivations. We appreciate and leverage the capabilities, insights, and ideas of all individuals. Harvard Medical School Mission and Community Values
Harvard University offers an outstanding benefits package including:
- Time Off: 3 - 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 12.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
- Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, incredibly affordable classes directly at the Harvard Extension School, and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
- Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
- Wellness options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation, and complementary health services.
- Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events, and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
The Harvard Medical School is not able to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
Not ready to apply? Join our Talent community to keep in touch and learn about future opportunities!