Reporting to VP Bioproduction Strategy, the Business Segment Manager, will help shape Avantor’s growth in Biopharma workflows that include Biologics (Monoclonal antibodies), Vaccines, Cell and Gene Therapy. Responsible for building rich insight on clinical and commercial trends and opportunities, this individual will bring domain expertise to develop the forward-looking strategy for the Biopharma Production business. The individual helps develop a process for gaining insight into growth drivers with an emphasis on cutting-edge science and breakthrough treatments for patients around the world. This role serves as blend of technical product management with key responsibility towards portfolio strategy by adding to New Product Idea (NPI) engine using a mix of build, buy, partner and collaborate approaches. This role will bring expertise in VOC and data gathering for gap analysis to develop ideas for the business to grow faster than the market by adeptly identifying, analyzing and proposing new product, customer, channel, business development (OEM/distributorship) and M&A opportunities. The business segment manager is a key contributor in helping with the strategic planning cycle for the Biopharma Production business. S/he will build on her/his established industry relationships to develop plans and strategies that extend Avantor’s existing strengths (i.e., monoclonal and recombinant drugs) into new geographies, while addressing opportunities in adjacencies (i.e., vaccines) and identifying and shaping commercial offerings in emerging biopharma areas such as cell and gene therapies. The successful individual will have experience in a combination of product management, marketing and business development.
- Help drive strategic initiatives and offerings that maximize value for Biopharma Production customers, through a focus on industry and market trends.
- Create business cases for proposed new offerings by working closely with technical and operational subject matter experts, and ensure business and technical development plans are aligned, effectively communicated and approved.
- Lead analysis of biopharma/ biotech industry workflow trends and drivers, including the research of external thought leader insights, by collecting, evaluating and communicating strategic information across the broader Avantor organization.
- Help develop KPIs to measure performance and progress of initiatives and the management of dashboards that monitor quarterly and annual progress toward budgeted goals.
- Support potential business development activities, including the management of internal and external proposals with the product development team, partnerships, portfolio management, and M&A activities.
- Foster a strong understanding of the external commercial landscape through established industry relationships, collection and analysis of competitor and market intelligence input to help influence portfolio and strategy decisions.
- Map the biopharma technology landscape in close partnership with operations and the Technology & Innovation team.
- Work with the commercial team within Biopharma Production to define necessary commercial and operational capabilities globally to act on the agreed strategic plans.
- Establish and maintain a cadence of meetings with functional leaders throughout the organization on strategy deployment, status, and alignment on all initiatives.
Skills and Experience:
- At least a Master’s in Life Sciences preferably Ph.D. – MBA/MS or PhD/MBA highly recommended
- Minimum 5-year experience in either a biopharma R&D or bioprocessing role or having served biopharma as a core market.
- Demonstrated experience in VOC, market research, gap analysis leading to development of insights for solutions.
- Product or Service Launches from concept to commercialization defining the 5Ps of the Marketing Mix.
- Experience with developing relationship focused on insourcing or OEM and associated business development activities
- At least 2-3 years of demonstrated cross functional leadership
- Experience in using DBS, Toyota Management System, Avantor Business System is a definite plus but not required.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of employees assigned to this position.
Avantor is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.