The Business Segement Finance Manager for Multi-Family will be responsible for financial oversight of the James Hardie Multi-Family segment making up ~ 11% of the total James Hardie revenue (~ $230 MM annually). This position will be the key finance partner to product management, segment leadership and sales to develop go-to-market intiatives, analyze financial implications and implement strategic and tactical pricing initiatives that are all aimed at optimizing revenue growth and profitability while supporting company-wide business goals. The incumbant should have a blend of strong business strategy, analytic and commercial skills to drive growth and pricing execution of key initiatives. A successful candidate will have a high proficiency for assimilating data and trends into actionable insights to drive business growth.
This role also actively partners with field sales, product management and supply chain to understand commercial strategy and overall capacity and profitability targets. The candidate is expected to be subject matter expert on all pricing and profitability targets for each Multi-Family initiative. The position reports to the Director of Pricing for North America.
Responsibilities include overall net revenue ownership and stewardship of the multi-family business segment. This candidate must showcase business and financial insight and will be responsible for delivering top-line growth and margin expansion for a $230MM segment by integrating and aligning across the commercial organization including Product Management, Innovation, Sales and Supply Chain. This position is responsible for establishing pricing strategies and capabilities, providing financial and business analytics for strategic investments and ensuring financial targets and controls are established and maintained.
Critical skills required include: ability to multi-task, managing within a matrixed organization, strategic planning, big-data analysis, financial acumen, commercial business strategy, competitive insights and business partnering.
Multi Family Segment – Net Revenue Management & Pricing Strategy Development (50%)
- Own overall revenue management for the MF segment including job-specific pricing tactics and national developer / customer programs. The role requires a strong understanding of channel dynamics, competitive landscape, market position and sales strategy to lead the development of the overall pricing strategy and execution of pricing tactics including job-specific pricing discounts and national pricing tactics administered via the Configure, Price, Quoting tool.
- Partner to segment leadership to support business growth and drive annual revenue and margin commitments. Drive profitable growth by analyzing financial results, key operating metrics, manage deal negotiations and revenue variances. Advise leadership on R&Os by initiative and for overall segment performance and recommend operating actions to drive annual targets.
Lead overall pricing strategy for the Multi-Family Segment:
The pricing team is a key business partner, leading the implementation of commercialization strategies and applying competitive intelligence, financial targets and market share analytics to develop segment specific pricing strategies & tactics.
- Key business partner with the commercial leadership teams (sales, marketing, product management) to design initiatives targeted at capturing profitable market share and balancing overall supply vs demand capacity. Ensure the financial viability, budgeting, forecasting and net revenue forecasts of each initiative and nationally for the segment. Support implementation and develop pricing strategies for new product launches and portfolio rationalization activities.
- Drive national price increase recommendations for the Multi-family segment, commercial communication strategy & job transition negotiations and field sales execution. Price targets must balance channel positions and business strategy and understand clear positioning relative to the Single-Family segment.
Pricing Operations (30%)
Understand commercial business strategies and competitive product positioning by market and applying this understanding to drive revenue growth and execute operating plans for the multi-family segment.
- Responsible for ensuring the financial viability of job-specific discounts. Lead and manage execution of tactical pricing; ensure job specific PA discounts continue to drive profitable returns and overall net revenue growth for the Multi-Family segment.
- These results will be achieved through data analytics of total Multi-family net price targets, category share erosion, managing discount levels, and creating financial models to understand overall profitability by end-user & channel.
- Drive senior leadership escalations – partner with sales leadership to review and assess all requests that exceed recommended discount levels. Drive investment decisions by validating and summarizing overall deal rational and financial returns on pricing discount and marketing investments. Complete cost analysis vs competitors and customer segmentation.
- Candidates must be experienced in commercial deal negotiation tactics and have the ability to react dynamically, developing creative deal structures and pro-actively identifying counter-proposals.
Reporting and other finacial & operational analysis (20%):
- Prepares, implements and communicates high level reports for the business on overall price performance for the Multi-family segment and other key performance indicators of business performance. Responsible for communicating business tracking information and pricing trend variations that are impacting the segment.
- Prepare and communicate monthly volume forecasts for the Multi-family segment to inform integrated S&OP function. Also develops volume targets to assist in commission target setting.
- Perform any other ad-hoc financial or operational analysis to support marketing and sales initiatives and overall business targets including new or discontinued product actions, product mix targets, pricing increase/decrease actions, overall pricing compliance (job site deliveries, minimum job size metrics, etc).
The position responsibilities outlined above are in no way to be construed as all encompassing. Other duties, responsibilities, and qualifications may be required and/or assigned as necessary.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong analytical abilities and a natural curiousity for understanding the “why” behind the business results. This includes outstanding attention to detail and willingness to manage through ambiguity to prioritize strategic initiatives that drive the largest business impacts.
- Proven ability to synthesize large amounts of complex into actionable insights. Articulates views in a clear and concise manner and can share clear insights and observations that will manifest into business decisions and thoughtful recommendations to customers.
- Strong business partnership and leadership presence – ability to navigate matrix organizations and drive results with all levels of the organization and across functions. Someone who is sought out for their opinions and counsel and can drive decisions through data analytics.
- Confidence and ability to use data to influence others in the organization and outline what the business should do differently
- Ability to multi-task in a fast paced, change oriented environment; flexible and agile to quick adapt to change.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting, Engineering, Strategy or another quantitiative discipline. MBA, Master’s degree, or equivalent work experience preferred
- 5-7 years of pricing or commercial finance experience
- Expert level in Excel and Powerpoint
- Building, manufacturing or industrial sector experience preferred
- Supervisory/Lead experience