How Will You Make an Impact?
The Business Segment Director leads a global cross functional business team responsible for the growth of the Oil & Gas and Petrochemical market within the Applied Technologies business unit for Thermo Fisher Scientific. The position has global responsibility for strategic marketing and business development as well as financial responsibility to maximize revenue and profitability for the business segment. The Business Segment Director plays an integral role in the business unit’s leadership team.
What will you do?
- Strategic Planning – Lead the strategic planning process with focus on improving market and competitive data, applying external market focus in the process. Identify capabilities, gaps and develop and execute on roadmap (working with various functions) to develop necessary capabilities.
- Establish, maintain and manage global cross-functional business teams to ensure alignment on programs, manage issues to resolution, capture functional input relative to strategic planning and achieve annual growth objectives.
- Marketing Strategy – Build and lead a team of global business development managers, market segment managers, and applications scientists to develop and implement a concise market strategy.
- Drive growth in the market segment with differentiated go to market strategy and value propositions. Define business model which enables success in the marketplace.
- New Business Development – Drive new sources of revenue and maximize our competitive advantage. Identify, recommend and facilitate partnerships/alliances with other firms as necessary to strengthen portfolio and distribution strength. Identify and lead potential merger and acquisition opportunities.
- Manage the business opportunities at potential accounts and with C-Suite executives to help ensure Thermo Fisher is positioned to capitalize on opportunities by providing high quality products and services
- Pricing Strategy – Lead the price/position strategy for each product and lead the implementation of the annual list price increase.
- New Product Introductions – Partner with product lines to gain agreement for high-impact new product and workflow introductions with high return on investment based on sound customer, market and competitor analysis including strong “Voice of the customer” (VOC) analysis and rigorous customer requirements development.
- Product Financial Performance – Meet and exceed revenue and operating profit targets in yearly operating plan for the segment
- Tactical Marketing Programs – Systematically evaluate and execute programs that will drive near –term revenue to include competitive assessments including product offerings, selling techniques, customer perceptions, pricing, strength/weakness analysis
- People Management – Lead and develop a global team of business development managers, market segment managers, and indirectly, business team members. Manage talent through evaluating, coaching, mentoring and upgrading
- Sales Training and Support – Develop and execute effective sales product training programs for all current and new products emphasizing product competitive advantages, “sell against” and closing strategies and tactics and provide on-going sales support to move customers toward offerings
How will you get there?
- Minimum of a BS/BA degree is required; business or science major preferred
- MS or MBA desired
- Strong strategic and business development capabilities
- Knowledge of the global Oil & Gas and Petrochemical market segment a plus
- 10+ years’ experience including global leadership responsibility in related marketing, business development or sales roles.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to produce strong business results managing a geographically separated team in a matrix organization
- Experience leading customer focused organizations, preferably with significant experience managing growth in emerging markets
- Experience managing market development and product portfolios, including driving product development with R&D and setting strategic direction for channel selection and branding
- Experience in developing and launching new products in a global matrix organization.
- Strong communication, motivation and influencing skills
- Experience working with customers, channels, commercial teams and operations.
- Experience with strategic planning, forecasting, budgeting and analysis of business situations, competitive profiles and pricing analysis
- Comfortable with domestic/internationaltravel up to 30% of the time.