Implement defined first line of defense risk management initiatives within the business unit in support of the Enterprise Risk Framework. Manage the risk work and employee assignments to those initiatives responsible for risk and control functions in the business unit. Serve as Subject Matter Expert (SME) for execution of risk functions; Serve as project leader on complex and highly visible risk management projects.
- Responsible for the execution of risk initiatives that this position leads or for which their team is responsible to conduct. Responsible for completely and accurately documenting key business processes. Identify and assess risks and internal controls associated with the key processes under your leadership.
- Actively participate in the planning, execution and reporting of the business unit's risk-based testing program. Perform control testing as an individual contributor and ensure control testing is performed for the team's risk initiatives in accordance with M&T's First Line of Defense Guidance on Management of Risks & Internal Controls and professional standards.
- Specific control testing responsibilities will involve the review of testing, and evaluating results to determine if issues exist. Responsibilities may also include independent performance of scripted testing as well as system administrative duties such as the maintenance, validation, and / or updating in the compliance data management system (Archer). Communicate findings to management.
- Monitor business unit performance with respect to established key risk indicators (KRIs), and recommend enhancements to strengthen risk control structure.
- Accurately complete Risk Control Self Assessments (RCSAs) and other risk management reporting, recommending enhancements to each. Assist in the reporting and escalation of risk events and loss events.
- Identify emerging risks and risks associated with new products/ services/ markets/ channels or changes to existing products/ services/ markets/ channels, as well as the control structures needed to mitigate the risks.
- Provide guidance on the development of remediation plans. Manage the timely completion of remediation plans and other projects to address issues identified internally and by Enterprise Risk Management, Compliance, Internal Audit or external regulators. Validate the quality of the plans implemented.
- Implement and oversee the adherence to policies and procedures for the business unit. This includes identifying updates or enhancements as business unit processes change. In addition, assist in responding to both internal and external requests in relation to departmental processes and procedures.
- Provide informal coaching of staff. Provide input to manager with regard to staff performance and growth/development of staff functions and responsibilities for risk initiatives they lead.
- Adhere to applicable compliance/operational risk controls in accordance with Company or regulatory standards and policies.
- Promote an environment that supports diversity and reflects the M&T Bank brand.
- Maintain M&T internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators as applicable.
- Complete other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience Required:
Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 5 years' relevant work experience, or in lieu of a degree, a combined minimum of 9 years' higher education and/or work experience, including a minimum of 5 years' relevant work experience