Purpose of Job
We are currently seeking a talented Business Risk and Controls Advisor Lead (Risk Initiatives) for the San Antonio Home Office I or Remote.
Promotes a risk-awareness to ensure the overall effectiveness of risk and compliance management programs, risk analytics and operations in the business. This role will partner and collaborate with Compliance and Risk Management, as well as Business Operations, IT, Audit Services, and Regulators to support risk and compliance-based initiatives. Responsible for ensuring adherence to the governance of the established risk framework and ongoing supervision of business controls. including risk and control self-assessments, identification and evaluation of control effectiveness, identifying control failures, facilitating risk and compliance remediation, market conduct exams, and monitoring the first line of defense in an effort to minimize risk exposures and strengthen the overall control environment. Manages risk assessment data and identifies key data-driven insights tied to first line of defense.
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and their families. This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking at every level.
In each of the past five years, we've been a top-40 Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For®, and we've ranked among Victory Media's Top 10 Military Friendly® Employers 13 years straight. We embrace a robust veteran workforce and encourage veterans and veteran spouses to apply.
USAA Careers - Award Winning Workplace (17 seconds)
USAA Careers – World Class Benefits (31 seconds)
- Directs and oversees multiple initiatives in support of risk and/or regulatory compliance related initiatives on behalf of the business including but not limited to: oversight of procedures/process, accurate regulatory reporting and filing, document governance, risk control self assessments, procedure governance, control design, new product controls, supplier governance, or quality governance.
- Serves as a Subject Matter Expert in more than one key area (e.g. Governance Risk and Compliance (GRC) data and Business Controls Management and applies a holistic understanding of risk and regulatory compliance to influence business strategies and solutions.
- Hold responsible for first line of defense data analysis, report preparation and trend analysis, utilizing business intelligence tools.
- Identifies opportunities to leverage untapped resources across the enterprise to improve and strengthen the control environment through actionable insights.
- Designs solutions for unanswered business questions and anticipates future business needs.
- Directs, organizes and oversees action plans designed to enhance governance practices in alignment with risk and compliance frameworks.
- Influences and develops innovative solutions to mitigate risk and prevent risk exposures which result in significant business impacts.
- Manages the most complex projects involving cross-functional areas within the first line of defense.
- Defines and outlines new approaches to problem resolution, and leads project team from concept through implementation.
- Advises senior management on the status of their control environment related to risk identification and control weaknesses.
- Identifies critical areas to monitor and escalates issues and findings to appropriate stakeholders.
- Serves as a primary resource to cross functional team members and advises on risk mitigation opportunities.
- Stays informed of changes to the regulatory environment to ensure proper compliance with processes and requirements are followed.
- Bachelor's Degree or 4 additional years of related experience beyond the minimum required may be substituted in lieu of a degree
- 8 or more years of operations experience in a relevant functional area to include financial services, insurance, banking, investment, information technology, public accounting or other related operational area that supports risk/compliance initiatives within the business is required.
- Expert knowledge of relevant regulatory compliance, industry regulations and regulatory data sources required.
*Qualifications may warrant placement in a different job level*
When you apply for this position, you will be required to answer some initial questions. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Once you begin the questions you will not be able to finish them at a later time and you will not able to change your responses.
- Demonstrated experience with developing and implementing risk initiatives such as risk and control self-assessment, key risk indicators, and top/emerging risk identification.
- Experience in Human Resources to include risk and compliance, talent, payroll, benefits, compensation, shared services, or other HR discipline
- Project management skills and background.
- Strong writing and communication skills.
- Experience in creating materials for executive consumption.
- Strong quantitative analytical skills
- Demonstrated experience with MetricStream system, or similar governance, risk & compliance tools.